This chocolate chip cookie cake is the ULTIMATE cookie lovers dessert. This cookie layer cake has 7 layers of chewy chocolate chip cookies loaded with chocolate. The cookie layers are stacked with a delicious and rich chocolate ganache. If you love chocolate chip cookies, you will fall in love with this cake!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Layers
- 1/2 cup (113 g) butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (110 g) dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (77 g) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cup (205 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces (170 g) chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) heavy cream
- 7 ounces (200 g) chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large mixing bowl using a hand mixer, beat the softened butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract. Beat to combine.
- On low speed, mix in the flour, baking soda, and salt until there are no dry spots. Add the chocolate and mix until it is evenly distributed throughout the cookie dough.
- Divide the cookie dough into 7 equal sections, about 3.5 ounces each. Roll the cookie dough into balls, then gently press each ball into a disk shape about 1/2 an inch thick and place onto the parchment lined baking sheets. (Place 2 cookies at a time on each baking sheet.) The cookies will spread as they bake, so make sure that there is enough distance between the two cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all 7 cookies are baked.
- To make the ganache, place the chocolate in a heat-proof mixing bowl. Heat the cream, being careful not to let it boil over. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let it stand for a few minutes. Mix until all of the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Allow to cool completely until it is a spreadable consistency. If you are in a hurry, you can stick your ganache in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes, or until it is firm enough to spread.
- Assemble cookie cake: To assemble, spread 3 tablespoons of the chocolate ganache over the first cookie layer. Using a small offset spatula, spread the ganache evenly over the cookie reaching almost to the edges. Press the second cookie layer on top and repeat until you have used up all of the cookies. End with a cookie layer.
- Carefully, wrap the cake with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Once the ganache has fully set, remove the plastic wrap from the cake and serve at room temperature.
- Store cookie layer cake: If you plan on serving the chocolate chip cookie cake the next day, storing it in a cake keeper in the refrigerator. If you don’t have a cake container, keep the plastic wrap on the cake until you are ready to serve. If you have any leftovers, slice it up and store the slices in an airtight container. The cake is good in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Make chocolate chip cookies in advance: Bake the chocolate chip cookies and allow them to cool completely on a cooling rack. Once they’ve completely cooled, place them in a freezer safe ziploc bag and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Make ganache ahead of time: You can make the ganache the day before you plan on assembling your cake! Make sure that you cover the ganache tightly with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge until you are ready to use. When you’re ready to assemble the cookie layer cake, take the ganache out of the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes. Then beat it by hand until it is smooth and spreadable.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 343
- Sugar: 26 g
- Sodium: 155 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 54 mg
Keywords: chocolate chip cookie layer cake, cake, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate ganache, cookie cake