The easiest cookie recipe ever! These chocolate chip shortbread cookies are buttery, crispy, and loaded with chocolate.
- 1/2 cup (113 g) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (220 g) light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 cups (292 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz (113 g) dark chocolate, chopped
- Place the butter and brown sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on low speed until combined. Make sure not to overbeat the butter.
- Next, add the egg and vanilla extract to the butter/sugar mixture. Beat until just combined.
- Add the flour and salt to the rest of the ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix on low speed until a dough forms. (The dough will crumbly.)
- Finally, add the chopped chocolate and mix on low speed until it is evenly distributed throughout the cookie dough.
- Transfer the dough onto a work surface and shape it into a log, about 2-2 1/2 inches in diameter. Tightly wrap the log in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Unwrap the chilled log and slice it into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Place the sliced cookies onto the prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookies will harden as they cool.
- Make ahead: Once the cookie dough is rolled into a log and tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, the dough can be kept for up to 1 week in the refrigerator, or up to 3 months in the freezer. Once you are ready to bake, remove the frozen cookie dough log from the freezer and let it defrost in the refrigerator overnight. Slice the log into pieces and bake at 350ºF.
- Store: Store your chocolate chip shortbread cookies covered in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Freeze: You can freeze baked cookies or unbaked cookie dough log for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 140
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 52 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 19 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 17 mg
Keywords: shortbread cookies, chocolate chip shortbread cookies, cookie recipe, chocolate chunk