Homemade chocolate cake is topped with a rich dark chocolate frosting, a sprinkle of sea salt, and a hint of coffee mixed in to intensify the flavor. It’s a moist and delicious cake that’s delightfully indulgent and easy to make. It’s the perfect cake for any occasion!
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (30 g) cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (50 g) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (178 ml) oil
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) milk
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (113 g) butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (187 g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup (30 g) cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare an 8-inch square pan by lightly greasing it and lining it with parchment paper. For a thiner cake, use a 9-inch square pan.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a whisk or a hand mixer, beat together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract until pale.
- Add the oil to the egg/sugar mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add half of the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Mix in the milk, then add the remaining dry ingredients. Mix until the batter is smooth and there are no dry spots.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a couple of crumbs. Make sure that you do not over-bake the cake.
- Remove cake from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Use the parchment paper to lift the cake out of the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Chocolate frosting: To make the frosting, melt the chocolate over a double boiler, then set it aside to cool down for 5 minutes. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter, powdered sugar, and salt until light and fluffy. Add in the melted chocolate and beat to combine. Mix the cocoa powder into the coffee, then add it to the rest of the ingredients. Finally, add the cream and beat until the frosting is smooth.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, it is time to frost the cake. Use a large serrated knife to remove the dome top. Place a generous amount of frosting on top and smooth it into an even layer. Top the cake the flaked sea salt or chocolate sprinkles and serve!
Storage: To store this chocolate cake, cover with a cake keeper or plastic wrap. The cake can be kept on the counter for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. When storing frosted cakes in the refrigerator, I always chill them for about 15 minutes to harden the frosting. Then, I loosely cover the cake in plastic wrap or place it in a cake keeper.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 27 g
- Sodium: 206 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 60 mg
Keywords: moist chocolate cake recipe, easy chocolate cake recipe, chocolate cake recipe, best chocolate cake recipe, homemade chocolate cake, how to make chocolate cake