The ultimate sandwich - Kale Croque Madame Grilled Cheese is filled with melty cheese, ham, roasted kale, and topped with creamy bechamel and a fried egg.
This post has been sponsored by Udi's. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
If you’re going to make a grilled cheese sandwich, you NEED to make a Kale Croque Madame Grilled Cheese .. aka a French grilled cheese. This sandwich is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner! I made a gluten free version by using Udi's® Gluten Free Multigrain Sandwich Bread (more on this later!). Croque madame and croque monsieur sandwiches can be found in cafes all over Paris. They are essentially the same thing, except a croque madame is topped with a fried egg. [Fun fact: croque madame got its name because the egg resembles a woman's hat!]
What's in a Croque Madame?
- Dijon mustard
- Bechamel sauce
- Fried egg
Gluten Free Kale Croque Madame Grilled Cheese sandwiches take this classic to the next level! I added roasted kale, which adds a nice pop of flavor and color to the sandwich. To make gluten free bechamel sauce, I simply swapped out regular flour for an all-purpose gluten free flour. I promise, you can't tell the difference!
As for the bread, I prefer to use thickly sliced sandwich bread which holds up well in the oven. My favorite gluten free sandwich bread is Udi's® Gluten Free Multigrain Sandwich Bread and Udi's® Gluten Free Soft White Sandwich Bread. I have tried pretty much every gluten free bread in the stores, and nothing compares to Udi's!
I found that Udi's is the only gluten free bread that has a delicious taste, soft texture, and no artificial ingredients. Plus, there are 8 grams of whole grains per serving and other vitamins and minerals in each serving!
I pick up my Udi's Gluten Free Sandwich Bread from the gluten free freezer section at Kroger. Right now, Udi's is offering a special discount on your next purchase of their bread. Save now!
How to Assemble a Croque Madame:
To make a croque madame, first butter two slices of bread. Spread a layer of Dijon mustard onto the unbuttered side of one slice. Stack ham, shredded gruyere, and roasted kale. Close sandwich with the second slice and broil until lightly golden. Next, you add the bechamel and return to broiler until bubbly. Top with a sunny-side up egg and voila! The ultimate grilled cheese is ready!
p.s. this sandwich is best eaten with a fork.
Gluten Free Kale Croque Madame Grilled Cheese
- 1 small bunch of kale torn from stems
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 3 tbsp butter divided
- 2 tbsp gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cups shredded gruyere divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices Udi's® Gluten Free Multigrain Sandwich Bread
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 8 sliced ham
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the kale on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes, lightly toss, and roast for 10 more minutes or until just crispy. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Once melted, whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add milk and cook until thickened, whisking frequently. Once thickened, stir in 1 cup shredded cheese. Set aside.
- To assemble sandwiches, butter one side of each slice of bread. Lay 4 slices, buttered side down, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread mustard on each slice. On each slice, add kale, 2 slices of ham and 2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Close sandwiches with remaining 4 slices of bread, buttered side up.
- Place baking sheet in oven and broil 2 minutes per side. Spoon about ⅓ cup of bechamel sauce over sandwich and return to broiler for 1-2 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from oven.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan and fry the eggs.
- Place an egg on each sandwich and enjoy!