This strawberry lemon tart is a creamy and refreshing dessert made with a zesty lemon filling, topped with fresh strawberries, and soaked in a sweet lemon syrup. It’s the perfect way to enjoy the flavors of summer.
- 9 oz (255 g) digestive cookies (or graham crackers)
- ½ cup (25 g) unsweetened coconut flakes
- 10 tbsp (125 g) butter, melted
- 1–14 oz can (395 g) sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) lemon juice
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 lb (455 g) strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 lemon, juice and rind
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- Crust: Process cookies and coconut flakes in a food processor until fine crumbs. Add melted butter pulse until combined and the crumbs are evenly moistened. Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch tart pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk the condensed milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and egg yolks in a bowl until well combined.
- Use a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment to beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold half the egg white mixture into the lemon mixture until incorporated. Repeat with the remaining egg white mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tart crust. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the center is set.
- Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Lemon syrup: To make the lemon syrup, cut the lemon rind into strips. Add lemon rind, water, and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until mixture slightly thickens. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Transfer to a heatsafe container and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Toss the strawberries in the syrup. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. The syrup can be made up to 2 days ahead.
- To serve, carefully remove chilled tart from tart pan and transfer to a serving dish. Top the tart with strawberries and lemon syrup. Serve immediately.
Keywords: strawberry lemon tart, lemon tart, strawberry lemon syrup, lemon dessert