If you like chocolate, you will definitely love this super moist and easy Banana Bread with a Dark Chocolate Center! No mixers required!
Hiiiii. Do you know what my favorite thing about long weekends is (aside from the obvious)?? Long weekends = short weeks!! Which means fewer days until the next weekend. Yay!
It’s Friday, already!
And the perfect day for banana bread.
Ok, everyday is the perfect day for banana bread. But, today is the perfect day for banana bread with a DARK CHOCOLATE CENTER. Yes, I said chocolate center.
It’s seriously life changing. Like, I don’t know if I can make banana bread any other way now.
Fun fact: you will NEVER catch me eating a plain banana. However, if you mash up some bananas and bake a cake disguised as “bread”, I’m all up in there!!
Fun fact #2: Fruit + chocolate = a NO GO! Unless, its bananas in the form of a baked good. Like these Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins I made for you a while back.
So, let me fill you in on this banana bread. It’s PACKED with lots of good things – bananas, brown sugar, a hint of cinnamon, and of course a gooey dark chocolate center.
I can always tell how much of a hit my banana bread is by the amount of hours it lasts in our house – yes, I said hours. We usually end up eating an entire loaf in less than a day. You know, it starts with the first slice that you’re too impatient to wait for it to cool down. And another one once the bread is completely cool .. then one little bite here, another one there. A slice after dinner, a little piece before bed. A few thin slices pre-breakfast and before you know it, we’re left with a few crumbs and an empty platter.
24 hours and its like it never even happened. Until you try to put on that pair of skinny jeans that’s been sitting in your closet all summer…
Banana Bread with a Dark Chocolate Center
- 5 tbsp butter melted
- 3 tbsp oil coconut or canola
- 3 large overripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
Dark Chocolate Center
- 5 1/2 oz dark chocolate chopped
- 2 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease loaf pan and set aside.
- Prepare the dark chocolate center by melting chopped chocolate and butter in a small pot over low heat or a small bowl in the microwave. Cool slightly. Whisk in egg and powdered sugar. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate while you make the banana bread batter.
- In a large bowl, combine melted butter, oil, and mashed bananas. Whisk in egg, vanilla, and brown sugar.
- Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to banana mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Remove dark chocolate mixture from refrigerator and spoon into the center of batter in dollops. Gently press chocolate into batter, making sure it doesn't touch the bottom of pan.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of banana bread section comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes in pan before removing.