Red Velvet Cream Cheese Bundt Cake
Rich and moist red velvet bundt cake swirled with a sweet cream cheese filling is the perfect recipe. Top it with a Nutella glaze for an extra special touch.
This red velvet cream cheese bundt cake is so moist, delicious, and easy to make. With it’s signature deep red color, rich texture, and classic hint-of-cocoa flavor, this cake is a red velvet fan’s dream! The cake is filled with a smooth cream cheese swirl which tastes just like cheesecake. The cake is delicious on its own, but the rich and easy Nutella glaze is a picture-perfect finish.
WHAT I LOVE ABOUT THIS RED VELVET BUNDT CAKE
- East to make: This cake is effortless! The cream cheese filling and cake batter come together in just minutes.
- Perfect texture: It’s not dense and dry like many bundt cakes can sometimes be. The actual cake is so moist and “velvety” which compliments the smooth and creamy cheesecake swirl.
- Nutella glaze: The glaze is totally optional, but in my opinion, it completes the whole cake. Plus, who doesn’t love Nutella?!
The Cream Cheese Filling
Red velvet cake is always paired with cream cheese frosting. For this bundt cake, I felt that the cake itself needed a cream cheese component to it.
And what better way to add the classic red velvet cake flavors, than with a ribbon of cheesecake baked right into the cake. The cream cheese layer elevates the bundt cake while giving it a gorgeous creamy smooth top.
To make the filling, all you need to do is add all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Then, it gets poured over the cake batter before baking. The cream cheese layer is more dense than the cake batter, so it sinks to the bottom of the cake pan while it is in the oven. This creates the perfect layer of cheesecake in your red velvet bundt cake.
THE BEST FOOD COLORING TO USE FOR RED VELVET CAKE
When you think of red velvet cake, you expect it to have that signature deep red color. To get that gorgeous red color, you will need to add 2 tablespoons of red food dye to the batter. I prefer to use liquid red food color over the gel kind. Liquid red food color creates a deep red color rather than a vibrant red color that gel dye creates. Also, I find that the liquid mixes into the batter a lot more smoothly.
What Type of Bundt Pan Should I Use?
For this red velvet cream cheese bundt cake recipe, you can use any 10-cup bundt pan (10-inch bundt pans typically hold about 10 cups of batter).
I love my Nordic Ware Original Bundt Pan and this one from Cuisinart which I used in the photos and video for this recipe.
HOW TO PREVENT YOUR BUNDT CAKES FROM STICKING TO THE PAN
Make sure that you grease and flour your bundt pan really well before pouring the batter into it. This will help your bundt cake pop out easily once it’s baked.
My favorite nonstick spray is Baker’s Joy. It has flour in it so there is no need to flour your pan. If you use a regular spray or butter, be sure to lightly dust your pan with flour.
When your cake is done baking, allow it to cool for 15 minutes in the pan. After 15 minutes, remove your cake from the pan. If you allow your cake to sit in the pan for longer than 15 minutes, you will have a hard time removing it and risk it sticking to the pan.
How to Make The Best Red Velvet Bundt Cake
Like I mentioned earlier, this red velvet cream cheese bundt cake is super simple to make. Here’s how to make a perfect moist red velvet cake.
- Blend all of the cheesecake filling ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Combine the dry ingredients and then pour in the wet ingredients. Whisk until the batter is completely smooth. There should be no clumps or dry spots of flour.
- Pour the cake batter into your prepared pan and then top with the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Bake time can vary depending on your bundt pan and oven, so keep an eye on your cake. Begin checking it at the 1 hour mark, and then every 5 minutes after that.
Tips for Extra Moist Red Velvet Cake
- Use room temperature ingredients. Allow all of the refrigerated ingredients to sit at room temperature for 3 hours before making the cake. This will ensure that they are at room temperature and will help them blend better.
- Mix your cake batter until the ingredients are incorporated. Look out for a silky smooth batter!
- Use liquid red food coloring to give your cake a gorgeous deep red color
Nutella Glaze For Bundt Cake
The Nutella glaze on top is a must!. It’s silky smooth, chocolatey, and the perfect pairing to the moist and rich red velvet cream cheese cake. Here are a few things to keep in mind when making the glaze:
- Make sure you whisk the glaze very well until it is completely smooth. You can use a hand whisk or an electric mixer to achieve this.
- The glaze should be not too thick and not too runny. If your glaze seems too thick, add ½ tablespoon of milk at a time until it is just right. If it’s too thin, add 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar at a time until it thickens up.
How To Store This Red Velvet Bundt Cake
Because of the cream cheese filling, this red velvet cake needs to be stored in the refrigerator. Cover any leftovers with plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container. The cake will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
More recipes you’ll love!
- Marbled chocolate banana bundt cake
- Pumpkin bundt cake
- Berry swirl cheesecake tart
- Easy chocolate cake
- Red wine chocolate cake
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Red Velvet Cream Cheese Bundt Cake
- 1 2/3 cups oil canola or vegetable
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Ribbon
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1-14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons Nutella
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-cup bundt pan.
- Begin by making the cheesecake layer. Add cream cheese, cornstarch, sweetened condensed milk, egg, and vanilla extract to a blender or food processor. Blend on high speed or process until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a large glass measuring cup or mixing bowl, combine oil, buttermilk, red food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour in the wet ingredients and whisk until you have a smooth batter. There should be no clumps or dry spots of flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan, then pour the cheesecake filling evenly over the top. Place the pan in your preheated oven and bake for 1 hour-1 hour 15 minutes. Baking times will vary depending on the pan you use and your oven, so check the cake at the 1 hour mark and then every 5 minutes after than until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes remove the cake from the pan and allow it to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and milk until smooth. Mix in Nutella until well combined. If your glaze is too thick, add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time until it reaches a pourable consistency. If it is too thin, add 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar at a time until it thickens. Pour the glaze over the cake and enjoy.
The ingredients for the cake batter include 2 eggs. However, the 2 eggs are not mentioned in the instructions for the batter. Put them in with the wet ingredients which seemed like the right thing to do. Cake was beautiful and delicious!
Wow, this looks so yummy. I will try to make it for my husband on Valentine’s Day.
Thank you! Enjoy! 🙂
Wow, amazing recipe. Looking forward to making this this weekend.
Thank you! It’s definitely one of my top favorites!
Thank you for the recipe! Turned out super delicious!!
Yay!! Thank you!!
This recipe is perfection. I’ve been looking for a red velvet cake recipe that makes a deep red, rich, moist, cake. And I finally found it! I love the cheesecake filling and chocolate topping. Couldn’t be happier with the results.
Thank you sooo much, Jess!