This gingerbread loaf recipe is the best ever! It is incredibly moist, perfectly spiced, and topped with a caramelized white chocolate frosting. Plus, it’s so easy to make - no mixer required!
Christmas time is not complete without gingerbread! I love gingerbread cookies and gingersnaps, but this gingerbread loaf truly has my heart. It’s moist with the perfect crumb, loaded with warm winter spices with just the right amount of sweetness. You can top it with caramelized white chocolate frosting or enjoy it as is!
Plus, it is so easy to make. There is no mixer required to make the gingerbread loaf. So, grab your mixing bowls and let’s get to baking!
GINGERBREAD LOAF INGREDIENTS
This gingerbread loaf recipe calls for very simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and refrigerator. Let’s go over all of the ingredients used in this best ever moist gingerbread loaf recipe.
- All purpose flour: I always use unbleached all-purpose flour in my baking. You can also use pastry flour or all-purpose gluten free flour with great results as well!
- Gingerbread spices: You will need ginger, cinnamon, and cloves for this recipe.
- Molasses: Use your favorite unsulfured molasses. I like using this organic molasses in my baking.
- Dark brown sugar: Use your favorite dark brown sugar! This is the one that I use in all of my baking.
- Egg: Make sure that your eggs are room temperature for the best results.
- Oil: I use organic canola oil but any vegetable oil, melted coconut oil, or very mild olive oil work in this recipe.
- Vanilla extract: Always use pure vanilla extract (not imitation) for the best tasting baked treats!
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT GINGERBREAD LOAF
This gingerbread loaf recipe is easy to make and requires only a few steps! Let’s go through the steps to make sure you end up with the perfect cake.
STEP ONE: MIX DRY INGREDIENTS TOGETHER
Start by whisking all of the dry ingredients together, then set them aside!
STEP TWO: COMBINE WET INGREDIENTS
In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients until the mixture is smooth.
STEP THREE: ADD WET INGREDIENTS TO DRY
Next, add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to mix until just combined.
STEP FOUR: BAKE & COOL
Transfer the batter to a prepared loaf pan and bake. Once completely baked, let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it and placing it on a wire rack to cool completely.
STEP FIVE: MAKE CARAMELIZED WHITE CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM
Caramelizing white chocolate is a lot easier than you may think! Follow this guide if you have never made it before. Make sure that you use a high quality white chocolate such as Valhrona or Ghirardelli. It took my chocolate 40 minutes, stirring in 10 minute intervals, to fully caramelize.
To make the buttercream, beat the butter with the paddle attachment for about 5 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Finally add the cooled caramelized white chocolate and beat until smooth.
STEP SIX: FROST THE GINGERBREAD LOAF
When your gingerbread loaf is cool, top with with the caramelized butter cream. Sprinkle with crystallized ginger for an extra pop!
STEP SEVEN: SLICE & ENJOY!
When you are ready to serve, slice the gingerbread and enjoy!
GINGERBREAD LOAF RECIPE FAQS
HOW DO YOU STORE GINGERBREAD COOKIES?
Store these gingerbread cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
CAN YOU MAKE GINGERBREAD LOAF AHEAD?
Yes, this gingerbread loaf can be made up to 1 day ahead. Covered tightly and keep at room temperature overnight. The flavors get even better after a day!
CAN YOU FREEZE GINGERBREAD LOAF?
Yes! To freeze this gingerbread loaf, let it cool completely, then wrap the unfrosted loaf with plastic wrap. The gingerbread loaf can be frozen up to 3 months. To serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before frosting and serving.
HOW LONG DOES GINGERBREAD LAST?
This moist gingerbread loaf lasts for up to 5 days at room temperature or 1 week in the refrigerator. Make sure that you store the loaf in an airtight container or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap.
HOW TO MAKE GINGERBREAD MUFFINS
To make gingerbread muffins, scoop the batter into muffin liners and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-22 minutes.
More Holiday Recipes You'll Love!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Gingerbread Loaf with Caramelized White Chocolate Buttercream
- 2 ¼ cup 220 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ⅔ cup 250 g molasses
- 1 ½ cup 330 g dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup 105 ml oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup 200 ml water
Caramelized White Chocolate Buttercream
- 6 oz 170 g high quality chocolate
- 5 tbsp 70 g butter, room temperature
- ⅓ cup 75 g confectioner's sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper, making sure the paper comes up and over the two longest sides of the pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the molasses, brown sugar, egg, oil, vanilla extract, and water.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix until combined and the batter is smooth.
- Pour and evenly spread the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Time may vary depending on your oven. If the loaf needs more time, keep baking at 5 minute intervals until it is done.
- When the gingerbread loaf is baked through, remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Use the parchment paper to lift the loaf out of the pan and then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Caramelized White Chocolate Buttercream
- While your loaf is cooling, make the buttercream. Use this guide to caramelize your white chocolate. Once it is a golden color, place the chocolate in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the confectioner's sugar, vanilla, and salt. Beat until combined. Add the room temperature caramelized white chocolate and beat until combined and fluffy.
- Spread the buttercream on top of the the cooled gingerbread loaf. Top with crystallized ginger and serve!