One-bowl Banana Nut Cake is an easy one layer moist cake loaded with ripe bananas and topped with a simple cream cheese frosting.
This Banana Nut Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is my go-to "I don't have much time, but need to use up these spotty bananas" cake. With minimal preparation and a straightforward method, this banana nut cake comes out perfect every time! It is moist and tender with just the right amount of sweetness. The addition of brown sugar and a hint of cinnamon take the banana flavor to a whole new level.
The cake itself is tall and delicate, but sturdy enough to hold the very simplified cream cheese frosting (it's literally cream cheese and confectioner's sugar!). Banana walnut cake is the perfect way to use up any overripe bananas you have laying on the counter. Plus, its ridiculously easy. No fancy mixers and no layers.
Ingredients You Need For Banana Nut Cake
- light brown sugar
- baking powder, baking soda, salt
- oil or butter
- extra ripe bananas
How To Make The Best Banana Cake:
prepare ingredients and baking ban
make cake batter
bake banana nut cake
cool cake completely
frost and cut into squares
Tips For Making One Layer Banana Walnut Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
The riper the bananas, the more flavorful your cake will be! I like to use bananas that are very spotty, but if you do not have any overripe bananas, simply pop them in the oven and roast them, skin on, until blackened. Remove the skins and let the bananas cool before using in the cake.
Be careful not to over-mix! This banana walnut cake is tender, moist, and soft. Over mixing the batter will produce a dense crumb. Mix the batter just until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.
You can substitute walnut with chopped pecans, or leave them out completely if you prefer.
The cream cheese frosting is totally optional here, but I find the the tangy and sweet frosting is the perfect compliment to the banana bread.
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Banana Nut Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup 200 g sugar
- ½ cup 100 g light brown sugar
- 1 ¼ 300 ml cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 about 300 g ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 ¾ cups 260 g flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup 100 g chopped walnuts, plus more for topping
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz 226 g package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup - 1 ½ cups 125 - 190 g confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugars, and oil until light and airy. Add vanilla, and mashed bananas and beat until smooth and creamy. Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until just combined. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely. (You can also leave the cake in the baking dish for easy serving or transport)
- For the frosting: use an electric mixer to beat cream cheese in a medium bowl until fluffy. Add confectioner's sugar and beat until smooth. Spread over cooled cake. Top with additional chopped walnuts.