The Persian Love Cake is a gluten-free dessert that combines buttery, moist almond flour crust with a creamy, cheesecake-like filling. Its subtle sweetness harmonizes with the warm notes of cinnamon and fragrant orange blossom water, creating a unique, flavor profile. Easy to prepare with just one bowl, this cake caters to those with dietary restrictions and serves as a delightful treat for any occasion or daily indulgence.
Why This Persian Love Cake Recipe Works
- Gluten-Free: The use of almond flour and other naturally gluten-free ingredients makes this cake perfect for those with dietary restrictions, or anyone seeking a gluten-free dessert option.
- Creamy, Cheesecake-Like Filling: The use of full-fat Greek yogurt gives the cake a rich, creamy texture, similar to a cheesecake, which adds to its appeal.
- Subtly Sweet: The cake is not overly sweet, striking the perfect balance, making it an ideal companion for a cup of coffee or tea.
- Unique Flavors: The cake is flavored with the warmth of cinnamon and the fragrant undertones of orange blossom water, creating a symphony of Middle Eastern flavors in each bite.
- One-Bowl Cake: The recipe calls for a single bowl, making the preparation process simple and straightforward, ideal for both novice bakers and experts.
What is Persian Love Cake?
Story has it that a girl was madly in love with a Persian prince. She made him a beautiful and enchanting cake to get him to fall in love with her.
From all of my research, I could never find out if it actually worked. The story is split; some say it worked and they lived happily ever after, and others say he tragically never returned her love.
I can’t guarantee that this cake has any special powers to win over your crush, but it definitely tastes as magical as the story.
The cake begins with almond flour, sugar, and butter. Half of the mixture becomes the crust (and arguably the best part of the cake!). The remaining mixture becomes the cheesecake-like filling my mixing in eggs, Greek yogurt, and flavorings.
Check out the recipe card below, for the complete list of ingredients and measurements,
- Almond Flour: It is important to use blanched superfine almond flour (sometimes called almond meal). Using a coarse almond flour, or almond flour made from raw almonds will change the texture and appearance of your cake.
- Granulated Sugar: Sweetens the cake and adds to the overall texture.
- Light Brown Sugar: Adds a hint of caramel flavor and extra sweetness.
- Butter: Gives the cake a rich and buttery flavor. Make sure to use it at room temperature.
- Eggs: They add structure and moisture to the cake.
- Full-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt: Creates a creamy and moist cake.
- Orange Blossom Water: Gives the cake a fragrant and unique touch.
- Shelled Pistachios, Roasted and Unsalted: For a crunchy texture and delightful flavor contrast.
- Edible Rose Petals: Used for decorating, they add beauty and a subtle floral scent to your beautiful Persian Love Cake.
Step by Step Directions
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350° F. For easy cake removal, grease your 8-inch springform pan and line it with parchment paper.
- Make the crust. In a large mixing bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer equipped with the paddle attachment, blend the almond flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter, and salt. Beat this mix at low speed until it becomes crumbly. Take half of this crumbly mixture and press it uniformly into your prepared pan.
- Prepare the filling. Add eggs, Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and blossom water into the remaining crust mixture. Beat these ingredients at medium speed until everything merges perfectly into a smooth mixture. Gently pour this mixture over the crust in your pan.
- Bake. Place it in the fully preheated oven for approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. You know it’s done when the top turns a beautiful golden brown, and the center shows a slight jiggle. Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool down completely in the pan. Place it on a wire rack for optimal cooling.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, refrigerate it for at least 4 hours, or if possible, leave it overnight. This step helps to set the filling perfectly.
- After chilling and the the filling has set, gently remove the cake from the pan. As the final step, garnish the top of the cake with chopped pistachios and dried rose petals to make it visually appealing and even more flavorful.
- Almond Flour: Ensure you use blanched superfine almond flour for the best results. Coarse ground almonds or almond flour made from raw almonds can alter the texture and appearance of your cake.
- Flavorings: While this recipe uses cinnamon and blossom water for flavor, don’t hesitate to experiment with other spices like ground cardamom and nutmeg or essences like rose water and orange zest.
- Pan Size: The recipe calls for an 8-inch springform pan. However, a 9-inch pan can also work, though the cake will be comparatively thinner. Remember to adjust the baking time accordingly – a larger pan means less baking time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. If you’re making this for a special occasion, you can make the cake up to 2 days in advance. Store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
If you have any leftover cake, store it in an airtight container or wrapped tightly with plastic wrap for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Persian Love Cake Recipe
- 8-inch springform pan
- Stand mixer
- Hand mixer
- 4 1/3 cups almond flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios roasted and unsalted
- food grade dried rose petals for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and line an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Make the crust: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using a hand mixer, combine the almond flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter, and salt. Beat on low speed until crumbly. Press half of the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- To make the filling, add the eggs, Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and blossom water to the remaining mixture. Beat on medium speed until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Pour the mixture over the crust.
- Bake the cake in a fully preheated oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the center has a slight jiggle. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is completely cool, refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When the cake has chilled and the filling is set, carefully remove it from the pan. Top the cake with chopped pistachios and dried rose petals. Enjoy!