The BEST Vegan Chocolate Cake
The best one-bowl chocolate cake is accidentally vegan! Topped with avocado fudge frosting, this cake is rich, moist, and decadent. Perfect for Valentine’s Day!
As someone who has baked a lot more chocolate cakes than the average person, I have narrowed down my “go-to” chocolate cake recipes to just a few depending on the occasion. One of my absolute favorite and easiest chocolate cake recipe is this one, which also happens to be accidentally vegan.
With no butter, eggs, or milk, this vegan chocolate cake is made in one bowl with ingredients you probably have in your pantry right now. It is dark, rich, and decadent – just like any good chocolate cake should be! The combination of baking soda and vinegar creates a tender and moist cake. The texture resembles a classic boxed cake mix, which ALWAYS tastes perfect.
I baked this cake in individual heart shaped cake pans for Valentine’s Day, but I have included directions to use a 9 x 13-inch baking pan instead.
Since this cake is accidentally vegan, I decided to make a vegan chocolate fudge frosting using avocados (don’t worry, you won’t be able to taste them!). The frosting comes together in just a few minutes in the food processor.
Ingredients You Need For Vegan Chocolate Cake
coffee or water
apple cider vinegar
How To Make One-Bowl Chocolate Cake
preheat oven and grease cake pan
mix all ingredients
pour batter into cake pan
frost & enjoy!
Tips For Making The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake
Use a high quality cocoa powder (I always use Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa). A quality cocoa powder will produce a dark and rich chocolate cake.
Use brewed coffee! Coffee brings out the intensity of chocolate. Make sure that your coffee is at room temperature before adding it to the batter. You can also use a shot of espresso diluted in water or espresso powder. You won’t be able to taste coffee in the cake, it is simply there to enhance the chocolate flavor. If you really don’t want to use coffee, water or any type of milk works just as well.
If you top your cake with avocado fudge frosting, make sure that your avocados are very ripe. If you aren’t vegan, buttercream, cream cheese frosting, and whipped cream make a delicious topping! Or, simple dust the cake with confectioner’s sugar.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
Vegan Chocolate Cold Brew Ice Cream – silky smooth, studded with dark chocolate.
Vegan Greek Olive Oil and Orange Cookies – crunchy, lightly sweet with a hint of cinnamon.
Raw Carrot Cake – vegan, gluten free, and refined sugar free!
Dark Chocolate Chunk Nut Butter Blondies – packed with protein!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies – soft and chewy centers and tons of chocolate.
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
The BEST Vegan Chocolate Cake with Avocado Fudge Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups 200 g flour
- 1 cup 220 g sugar
- 1/3 cup 40 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup cold coffee can use water or any type of milk instead
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
Avocado Fudge Frosting
- 3 ripe avocados pitted and removed from skins
- 5 cups 600 g powdered sugar
- 1 2/3 cups 200 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan or 5 mini cake pans.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt to a large mixing bowl. Add oil, coffee, vinegar, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Pour the batter into prepared cake pans.
- If using mini cake pans, place on a large baking sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a wooden skewer insterted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Cool cake 10 minutes in pan before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, place the avocados into the bowl of a food processor. Blend until smooth. Add powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla. Process until combined.
- Top cooled cakes with frosting and serve.