Delicious, tender, fall-apart meat stuffed in corn tortillas and topped with avocado, cilantro, and onion - these Easy Shredded Beef Tacos are so simple and tasty!
Today is a good day. Well, everyday is a good day but today especially.
Two words ... TACO TUESDAY!!
There was no way I was going to skip Taco Tuesday the week of my Cinco de Mayo countdown.
So, I present to you the most irresistible and easy Shredded Beef Tacos.
The meat is my version of Mexican beef. The flavors are a cross between barbacoa and carne asada. I sear the meat first to lock in all of the flavor and then roast it in a Dutch oven. You can make this recipe in a slow cooker too. I've provided the directions to both methods in the recipe.
This recipe makes a good amount of meat that can be used in so many different ways. I love it in tacos (obviously), but its also great over rice in taco bowls, wrapped in a burrito, in a quesadilla, in a salad, or enchiladas.
I stuffed the meat in warm corn tortillas and topped it off with avocado slices, chopped cilantro, red onion, lots of lime, and some hot sauce. Nice and simple.
Sometimes less really is more.
Shredded Beef Tacos
- 2 pounds chuck roast
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- a generous pinch salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 large jalapeno seeded and diced (leave the seeds if you prefer spicy)
- ¾ cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup stock or water
- corn or flour tortillas
- avocados chopped cilantro, chopped onion, lime, and hot sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine oregano, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle seasoning over meat and use your hand to rub it onto the meat.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Sear the meat on both sides. Once the meat is seared, add garlic, onion, and jalapeno and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add orange juice, lime juice, and stock (or water), scraping the bottom of the pot to deglaze it. Cover and place in oven for 2 ½-3 hours or until the beef is tender enough to shred. Alternatively, you can place the meat in a slow cooker after searing it. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Remove beef from pot and shred using 2 forks. Once shredded, place meat back in juices to keep it from drying out.
- To assemble tacos, spread shredded beef in the middle of a warm tortilla. Top with sliced avocado, cilantro, chopped onion, lime, and hot sauce.