Classic fried rice gets a south-of-the-border makeover in this Mexican Shrimp Fried Rice - easy, healthy, and ready in 15 minutes!
Have you ever whipped up a meal and wondered how in the world you ever lived without it?
Well, this is one of those recipes - MEXICAN SHRIMP FRIED RICE!!
You guys already know how much I love making fried rice whenever I have leftover rice sitting in the fridge. Its customizable, healthy, fast, and a complete meal in one skillet.
This time, I was craving something ... different, you know? So, in true Angelina fashion, I peeked inside my refrigerator to see what ingredients I had available to me. Since I'm going Mexican for the week, you know with Cinco de Mayo coming up and all, my refrigerator was stocked with cilantro, limes, jalapenos, salsa, and more avocados that any one should ever have at once.
And that is how this Mexican/Asian fusion recipe came to life.
This fried rice is made with brown rice, shrimp, black beans, and salsa. I'm a medium salsa type of person, but if you prefer things a little on the milder side or spicer side, you can totally use whatever salsa makes you happy.
And then the toppings... avocado, cilantro, jalapenos, hot sauce, more salsa, and lots of lime juice.
Think a deconstructed burrito from your favorite Mexican restaurant, but healthy and homemade and SO delicious.
More Recipes You'll Love!
Kale and Roasted Cashew Fried Rice - extremely easy, super healthy, and SO delicious.
Cuban Pork Rice Bowls - a family favorite!
Easy Pineapple Fried Rice - healthy, and ready in 15 minutes! Hello fried rice!
Greek Chicken Rice Bowl - served with a fresh and vibrant salad and delicious tzatziki!
Shrimp Fried Rice - like Chinese takeout but healthier and even better!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Mexican Shrimp Fried Rice
- 3 cups cooked rice chilled see note*
- 2 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- ¼ cup corn
- ¼ cup peas
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup salsa
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- chopped cilantro
- sliced jalapeno
- hot sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or wok over medium/high heat. Add shrimp along with garlic and cook shrimp 1 minute on each side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add chopped onion to hot skillet and cook until translucent. Add corn, peas, and black beans. Remove from skillet and place it with the cooked shrimp. Set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to skillet. Once hot, add rice, salsa, salt and pepper. Stir to combine 3-4 minutes, to fry the rice.
- Stir in the shrimp, vegetable, mixture, and chopped cilantro.
- Squeeze lime juice and stir to combine.
- Top with avocado, cilantro, jalapeno slices, hot sauce, salsa, and more lime.