Celebrate warmer weather and sunshine with this bright and refreshing Boozy Blood Orange Margarita Cake. Its the perfect alcohol-filled dessert recipe.
You know its going to be good when tequila is involved.
Yes, I went there. Alcohol + cake, what's not to love??
Boozy Blood Orange Margarita Cake is the perfect cake for your Cinco de Mayo celebrations ... or any other day.
I'm all about blood oranges. They're just like any other orange but with a slight berry flavor. And the color. Its so beautiful. Every time I'm cutting a blood orange I feel like Dexter. You know from the opening scene?
Ok, back to the cake. This cake is bursting with citrus flavor from freshly squeezed lime and blood orange juice. There's tequila and orange liquor inside the cake. And once the cake is done baking, more alcohol is poured on top of it so it can soak up all the classic margarita goodness.
To top it off, I made a blood orange whipped cream which is so good I had to resist eating it all straight out of the bowl.
Seriously guys, this cake is any margarita lover's dream.
Boozy Blood Orange Margarita Cake
- 1 cup sugar
- zest from 1 blood orange
- zest from 1 lime
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 tablespoon blood orange juice
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ cup tequila divided (I used Patron)
- ¼ cup orange liquor divided (I used Triple Sec)
Blood Orange Whipped Cream
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon blood orange zest
- 2 tablespoon blood orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-in cake pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, zest, and eggs until pale yellow. Mix in oil and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to egg mixture.
- Carefully stir in milk, orange juice, lime juice, ¼ cup tequila, and 2 tablespoon orange liquor.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and using a wooden skewer, poke a few holes into the cake.
- Stir remaining tequila and orange liquor in a small bowl and pour over hot cake.
- Allow cake to cool completely in pan. Once cake is cooled, remove from cake pan and top with blood orange whipped cream.
- Cake can be served right away or place in refrigerator for a few hours to serve cold. Store cake in refrigerator.
Blood Orange Whipped Cream
- In a large bowl, or bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat chilled heavy cream, sugar, zest, and orange juice until stiff peaks form.