This easy, one-bowl Blood Orange Loaf Cake combines simple ingredients to make a delicious moist and tender, homemade orange loaf cake. Topped with a dreamy blood orange glaze, this orange loaf cake is bursting with fresh citrus flavors!
THIS CAKE! This cake is everything - sweet, nutty, rich, and moist while embracing all of winter's citrus flavors. This moist and delicious blood orange loaf cake can be prepared in just minutes and enjoyed all week with your morning coffee. And of course, do not leave out the simple and gorgeous blood orange glaze to add extra fresh sweet orange flavor.
Blood Orange Loaf Cake Ingredients
- All-purpose flour: I always use unbleached all-purpose flour in my baking. You can use all-purpose gluten free flour if you need to with great results as well!
- Almond flour: Almond flour adds a delicious nutty flavor to the cake while adding a buttery texture.
- Sugar: Use your favorite granulated or organic cane sugar! This is the one that I use in all of my baking.
- Blood oranges: These are the star of the show! We use the zest and freshly squeezed juice for maximum citrus flavor. If you can not find any blood oranges, or if they are out of season, use any variety of oranges that you like!
- Milk: Use whole fat milk for a moist cake!
- Olive oil: I use a mild olive oil, but you could use canola, grapeseed, sunflower, avocado, or any other mild-flavored oil). Using oil in this loaf cake instead of butter results in a moist and soft cake.
How to Make This Easy, Moist Blood Orange Almond Olive Oil Loaf Cake
This crazy-delicious blood orange loaf cake, is so easy to make, I promise you’ll be making it throughout the whole citrus season! You don’t need a mixer or any fancy equipment and the preparation requires just a few simple steps.
Here’s a how to make this blood orange loaf cake at a glance:
- Preheat your oven. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. You want to make sure that your oven has enough time to reach the correct temperature.
- Prepare your loaf pan. Grease the loaf pan and then line with parchment paper for an easy cake release.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. Whisk the sugar, zest (this is my favorite zester!), flour, almond flour baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. I highly recommend using a scale to weigh out your ingredients as too much flour may result in a heavy or dry cake.
- Whisk together wet ingredients. In a large glass measuring cup, whisk the egg, vanilla extract, blood milk, blood orange juice, and olive oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to fold the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture until just blended. STOP as soon as there are no more dry flour spots. Over-mixing the batter will make the cake tough.
- Pour the batter in the loaf pan. Use a spatula to pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake. You can tell this cake is done when the top is golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool and then glaze. Let the loaf cake cool in the baking pan for 10 minutes, then use the parchment paper to lift the cake out of the pan. Remove the parchment paper and place a cooling rack to cool completely. Once the cake is no longer hot, pour the glaze over the top.
More Recipes You'll Love!
- White Chocolate Orange Macadamia Nut Cookies
- Cut-Out Orange Sugar Cookies
- Almond Cake with Hibiscus Glaze
- Fresh Strawberry Cake
- Rose and Pink Peppercorn Cake
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Blood Orange Loaf Cake
- 1 ½ cups 233 g all purpose flour
- 1 cup 113 g almond flour
- ⅔ cup 154 g sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup 180 mL milk
- ½ cup 120 mL milk olive oil or other mild-flavored oil
- ¼ cup 60 mL fresh blood orange juice
- zest of 1 blood orange
- ⅔ cup 90 g confectioner's sugar
- 3-4 tablespoon fresh blood orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and line 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a large measuring cup whisk together the egg, vanilla extract, milk, oil, and blood orange juice.
- Add the liquids to the flour mixture and mix until just combined (stop mixing as soon as there are no more dry spots of flour). Be careful not to over mix - a few lumps in the batter is ok!
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 - 55 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cake cool in the baking pan for 10 minutes, then use the parchment paper to lift the cake out of the pan. Remove the parchment paper and place a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze: Whisk together confectioner's sugar and 3 tablespoons blood orange juice in a small bowl until smooth. If your glaze is too thick, add the remaining tablespoon of orange juice. Drizzle the glaze over cooled cake.
This cake really does come out perfect and so delicious. I received sooo many compliments on it! This recipe is a keeper
I'm so happy you enjoyed this cake, Laura!
Sue Roberts says
This recipe is amazing and so simple! I enjoyed making and eating this. Thank you for another great recipe!
No problem, Sue! That's what I am here for!
Rachael L. says
this were a hit! it has a lovely moist texture and rich flavor for such a simple recipe. I will be making again ASAP.
Simple but delicious!!!
This cake came out perfectly after following the recipe exactly. Thank you!!
I'm so happy you enjoyed this cake, Lynn!