Healthy Superfood Mocha
This healthy superfood mocha latte recipe is a delicious, frothy, dairy-free, and paleo alternative to fancy coffee shop drinks. Loaded with good-for-you ingredients, this mocha will have you feeling amazing. It’s easy to make, healthy (vegan AND paleo), and the perfect way to begin your day!
This post has been sponsored by Nespresso. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Baked Ambrosia possible.
This is the creamiest and most delicious mocha recipe! It is easy to make, not too sweet, and loaded with superfoods! It’s a homemade version of fancy coffee shop drinks with no barista skills required. A great recipe for a cozy morning!
Every morning, I look forward to my first cup of coffee. I’ll admit that I typically enjoy my coffee black, with no sugar or cream. But, when the temperatures begin to cool, my morning drink of choice changes from my plain coffee to a warm and delicious mocha. Espresso … chocolate … warm frothy milk—how could I turn that down??
There are a few problems with drinking a mocha every day:
- high in sugar
- not the best ingredients
- they add up quickly! $$$
When I realized that indulging in coffee shop mochas day after day wasn’t the best choice for my health (or my wallet), I made it my mission to create a healthy yet just as delicious version that is lower in sugar, loaded with superfoods, and easy enough to make every morning. After a few trials, I came up with the perfect Superfood Mocha recipe!
It is chocolate-y and slightly nutty with a touch of cinnamon. And it is oh-so creamy thanks to the coconut milk! This healthy Superfood Mocha is dairy-free and paleo friendly, so anyone can enjoy their mochas this fall & winter!
HEALTHY SUPERFOOD MOCHA INGREDIENTS
Let’s go over the ingredients used in this dairy-free mocha recipe. Using high-quality ingredients is key to producing a delicious mocha latte!
- Espresso: I use Bianco Forte Nespresso coffee capsules. For mochas, I prefer a darker roast espresso that is intense and rich, yet balanced.
- Coconut Milk: I recommend using cartoned barista-style coconut milk for this recipe. You can find these in the dairy-free milk section of your local grocery store. Lite canned coconut milk works well, too! Just make sure to shake the can well before using.
- Maple Syrup: This recipe calls for ½ to 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, depending on your desired sweetness level. I prefer my mochas less sweet, so I use ½ tablespoon. Maple syrup can be substituted with honey. For a sugar-free option, use a few drops of liquid stevia or leave out the sweetener altogether.
- Raw Cacao Powder: Use a high quality raw cacao powder for the best taste. Cocoa powder can also be used here.
- Maca Powder: Maca root powder can be found in the health section of grocery stores or online.
- Cinnamon: Choose a high quality cinnamon for best results!
- Coconut Oil: Refined or unrefined work well! A little bit of ghee or grass-fed butter can be used if you are not dairy-free.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A HEALTHY SUPERFOOD MOCHA?
This recipe is super easy! I use my Nespresso Vertuo Machine to brew the perfect shots of espresso. This machine heats up the water in just 15 seconds (essential feature for someone who is always running late) and can brew 5 different sizes of coffee and espresso! To make this healthy mocha recipe, I also use the Nespresso Barista Recipe Maker. This is the ultimate milk frother! From iced lattes to cappuccinos, and of course the ultimate mochas, this handy machine does not disappoint. It has a touch screen with many different recipe options, and it can also be controlled from the app straight from your phone.
I know this sounds like a lot of fancy equipment, but don’t worry! I will walk you through all of the steps to make sure your vegan and paleo Superfood Mocha turns out perfect!
STEP 1: HEAT COCONUT MILK AND FROTH
If you have a Nespresso Barista Recipe Maker, pour the coconut milk, maple syrup, cacao, maca, cinnamon, and coconut oil into the jug. Close the lid, choose “Mocha” on the screen, and press the start button.
Alternatively, you can pour all of the ingredients into a small pot and heat over medium-low heat on the stovetop, whisking constantly. Do not let the coconut milk boil! You just need it to be warm. Once the coconut milk is heated, use a milk frother or pour the mixture into a blender and blend on high for 5-10 seconds.
STEP 2: BREW ESPRESSO
Use your Nespresso Vertuo Machine to brew a shot of espresso directly into your cup.
STEP 3: ADD COCONUT MILK TO ESPRESSO
Pour the warm and frothed coconut milk over the shot of espresso. Add a pinch of cacao powder or cinnamon on top for a special touch!
FAQS ABOUT THIS HEALTHY SUPERFOOD MOCHA RECIPE
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF MACA POWDER?
Maca powder is made from the dried maca root. Maca is a cruciferous vegetable that is native to the Andes in Peru. It is packed with vitamins, minerals, and flavonoids. Aside from its high vitamin and mineral profile, maca is believed to improve mood and boost energy, among many other benefits.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RAW CACAO POWDER AND COCOA POWDER?
Cacao powder is made from beans that have been processed at very low temperatures, therefore they are considered raw. The beans are then milled into a fine powder that is slightly more bitter than cocoa powder, but contains a higher amount of minerals, nutrients, and antioxidants.
Cocoa powder is made when the beans are roasted and processed at high temperatures. Cocoa powder is more acidic in taste. Many of its nutrients are lost due to the exposure of high temperatures during processing.
WHY DOES COCONUT MILK SEPARATE IN COFFEE?
Coconut milk contains fat and fiber which separates when it is added to coffee. Keep in mind that curdles coconut milk only changes the look of your coffee, but does not affect the taste or texture! Using a lite coconut milk helps prevent some separation.
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Healthy Superfood Mocha Recipe
- 1 espresso shot 1.35 fl oz / 40 ml
- ⅓ cup 100 ml coconut milk (preferably from carton or lite coconut milk)
- ½ - 1 tbsp 1.5 - 5 ml maple syrup
- ½ tbsp 3.5 g cacao powder
- 1 tsp 2.5 g maca powder
- ¼ tsp 2.5 g cinnamon
- ½ tsp 2 g coconut oil
- Extra cacao powder or cinnamon for topping optional
- Pour coconut milk into the Nespresso Barista Recipe Maker jug. Add maple syrup, cacao powder, maca powder, cinnamon, and coconut oil. Close the lid, choose “Mocha” on the screen, and press the start button. Alternatively, pour coconut milk into a small saucepan. Add maple syrup, cacao powder, maca powder, cinnamon, and coconut oil. Heat over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until warm (but not boiling!). Remove from heat and use a milk frother or blender to froth.
- Brew your espresso coffee into a cup according to your coffee machine.
- Pour the warm coconut milk mixture over the espresso.
- Top with a pinch of cacao powder or cinnamon. Enjoy!