Chocolate Tahini Layer Cake – three rich layers of moist chocolate cake layered with tahini buttercream and topped with chocolate tahini frosting. (Dairy Free)
I bring to you cake!! A delicious, moist, fudgy, Friday worthy cake.
Specifically a chocolate tahini layer cake with whipped tahini “buttercream” and a chocolate tahini frosting … there’s no such thing as too much tahini in my world.
I’ve always been the same way when it comes to cake. Nine times out of ten, chocolate wins. I’ll always choose a rich chocolate cake. For instance, if it were my birthday, I’d ask for the chocolatiest cake out there; no questions asked.
Seriously, does this not look like the most perfect cake ever?
The cake itself is so easy to make. The recipe is a tweaked version of my go-to chocolate cake. I like to use coconut milk instead of regular milk because it gives the cake a richer texture. It also makes the cake dairy free.
I baked my cake layers in 6-in pans because when it comes to cake … three thick layers are always better than two! This recipe can also be made in 3 7-in layers or 2 8-in layers.
Once the cake layers are baked a cooled, they are layered with a creamy filling made out of tahini, sugar, and Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Sticks. If you don’t need a completely dairy free cake, you can use real butter instead. Cocoa is mixed into the remaining filling and it is used to frost the cake.
You guys, words cannot describe how delicious this cake is. It NEEDS to be part of your weekend plans.
Chocolate Tahini Layer Cake (Dairy Free)
Chocolate Tahini Layer Cake – three rich layers of moist chocolate cake layered with tahini buttercream and topped with chocolate tahini frosting.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 10-12 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup oil (canola or coconut)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1 cup Earth Balance Soy Free Buttery Sticks (or real butter), room temperature
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 3 6-inch round cake pans or 2 8-inch cake pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugars, flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, coconut milk, vanilla, oil, and tahini until smooth. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Whisk in boiling water and instant coffee.
- Divide batter into prepared cake pans and bake 25-28 minutes (35-40 minutes for 8-inch cakes), or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on cooling racks.
- To make the filling, beat buttery sticks (or real butter) on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add tahini and mix until combined. Add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth and fluffy.
- Reserve 1/3 of the frosting for the filling. Mix in cocoa powder to the remaining frosting.
- To assemble the cake, place one layer on a cake stand. Spread half of the filling and top with second layer. Repeat and top with final layer. Use the chocolate frosting to cover the cake.