The tastiest and easiest healthy turkey + sweet potato chili made in one pot. Perfect for a quick weeknight meal!
If you're wondering what to make for dinner tonight, I have the perfect recipe for you! One Pot (Healthier) Turkey Sweet Potato Chili is simple yet rich and full of delicious flavors. The perfect comfort meal for a cold and rainy Monday (like today in NYC).
Really though, I LOVE comfort food on rainy days.
This chili is so easy to prepare. You dump all the ingredients in a pot and let it simmer for 20 minutes. It really doesn't get any easier than that.
Not only is it so easy, but it's good for you too! Its packed with protein, fiber, and lots of nutrients.
Ground turkey is a leaner alternative to ground beef. Beans give the chili an extra boost of protein plus tons of fiber.
Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A (in the form of the antioxidant beta-carotene), vitamin C, vitamin B6, and potassium. They are also a good source of fiber and since they are have a low glycemic index, you wont have a blood sugar spike. Instead the sugars are slowly released into your blood stream so that you get a steady amount of energy (without a crash) and you will stay feeling full longer.
Turkey Sweet Potato Chili, is a comforting meal that is packed with rich flavors, lots of nutrients, and it can be prepared in no time. The perfect weeknight meal if you ask me!
One Pot (Healthier) Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon no-salt all purpose seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken or turkey stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15- oz can beans drained and rinsed (I used a medley of kidney, pinto, and black beans)
- Toppings chopped cilantro chopped chives, sharp cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt or sour cream
- In a large heavy bottom pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add turkey, breaking it up with a spoon. Brown 2-3 minutes. Add all-purpose seasoning, oregano, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add in the onion and red bell pepper. Cook until they begin to soften, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic.
- Next, add sweet potato, diced tomatoes with their juices, and stock. Gently fold in beans.
- Cover the pot and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are cooked.
- Once the sweet potatoes are tender, remove lid from pot and cook another 5 minutes so that some of the liquid can evaporate.
- To serve chili, top with a sprinkle of cilantro, chives, cheese, and a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.