A steak salad with avocado, feta, and the most irresistible sweet and tangy poppy seed vinaigrette.
Avocado Steak Salad with Poppy Seed Vinaigrette … meet your new favorite salad!
I don't know about you guys, but whenever I do salads, I do them big, and fancy, and loaded with tons of colors and textures.
Many times, salads can be very wimpy and blah. No salad should be boring, even if its served as a side or as a snack.
Salads should be fun and full with lots of flavor. This salad has mixed greens, baby spinach, heirloom baby tomatoes, red onion, avocado, feta, and a huge juicy steak.
For me, the real star of this salad is the Poppy Seed Vinaigrette. I'm not a huge fan of thick and creamy dressings. As a matter of fact, I always felt like creamy dressings are too heavy on the lettuce. That's why my go to is always an oil and vinegar mix.
This vinaigrette has the perfect balance sweet and tangy. Apple cider vinegar and lemon juice give it the perfect acidity. Plus, they have a lot of health benefits, making the vinaigrette EXTRA good for you. I recently discovered a jar of poppy seeds hidden in the back of my spice rack (I had bought them make a Lemon Poppy Seed Cake but completely forgot about it) so I decided to add them in the vinaigrette for a subtle crunch.
This salad is perfect as a meal or as part of a dinner if you are expecting guests. I am positive everyone will be a fan of it!
Avocado Steak Salad with Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
- 2 8- oz steaks
- salt and pepper
- 5 oz mixed greens
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 1 pint baby tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado sliced
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- 2 ounces crumbled feta
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic pressed
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper on both sides. Cook steaks on a grill, skillet, or broiler; 6 minutes on each side. Remove steaks from heat and place in a plate to allow steaks to rest. Slice the steaks before place on top of the salad.
- Assemble the salad by combining the mixed greens, baby spinach, onion, tomatoes, avocado, and feta. Top with sliced steak. Drizzle with the vinaigrette, toss and serve!
Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
- Add the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, mustard, garlic, poppy seeds, olive oil, salt and pepper in a mason jar. Place the lid on the jar and shake the vinaigrette so that all of the ingredients are incorporated. This dressing keeps well in the fridge for a week.