Raw Carrot Cake
No baking required for this delicious and healthy Raw Carrot Cake with Cashew “Cream Cheese” Frosting. It’s vegan, gluten free, and refined sugar free!
I am OBSESSED with this cake!
Raw Carrot Cake with Cashew “Cream Cheese” Frosting.
I know what you’re thinking. This cake sounds too healthy to be tasty … & too healthy to even be called a “cake”. But hear me out. This cake is moist, crunchy, sweet, and perfectly spiced. And the frosting! It’s my favorite part.
Last year, I shared with you my favorite Vegan Carrot Cake recipe (which is to.die.for BTW). This year, I decided to take it one step further and make a gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free version. Crazy, right?
I’ll be honest, I was nervous when I decided to experiment with making a raw carrot cake. I’ve made raw chocolate cakes before, which came out delicious because well … CHOCOLATE. But this time, I was about to put a raw vegetable in my cake.
I threw all of the ingredients in my food processor, and crossed my fingers. The end result was amazing! The texture was on point. It was not too sweet, but sweet enough. And the spices were perfect thanks to Rodelle’s Organic Ceylon Cinnamon and Organic Ground Ginger.
Now, let’s talk about the Cashew “Cream Cheese” Frosting. It is made with soaked raw cashews, coconut milk, lemon juice, a touch of maple syrup, and my secret ingredient .. Rodelle’s Organic Baker’s Extract. This extract adds a magical touch of vanilla to the frosting. To make the frosting, all you have to do is blend all the ingredients on high speed in a blender (I used my Vitamix) until silky smooth.
So, go ahead and make this for dessert. Then eat any leftovers for breakfast because it’s HEALTHY and then make it again in a few weeks for Easter!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Raw Carrot Cake with Cashew "Cream Cheese" Frosting (Vegan, Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free)
Cashew "Cream Cheese" Frosting
- 1 3/4 cups raw cashews soaking in hot water for at least 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla I used Rodelle's Organic Baker's Extract
- Line a spring form pan with plastic wrap and set aside.
- In a food processor, add cashews, shredded coconut, oats, cinnamon, ground ginger, salt, and orange zest. Process until fine texture. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and stir in chopped walnuts.
- Add grated carrots, dates, and melted coconut oil to food processor. Pulse until chopped. Add carrots to cashew/oat mixture along with orange juice. Stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to prepared spring form pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or over night.
- Once cake is chilled, remove from pan and cover with cashew "cream cheese" frosting. Dust lightly with cinnamon and top with chopped walnut, and shredded coconut, if desired.
- To make the frosting, add drained cashews, coconut milk, maple syrup, lemon juice, and vanilla to blender. Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy.
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support! xoxo!
Do you have suggestions for what I could use to substitute the cashews?
Hi Deb, I have not made this recipe with anything other than cashews, but I think that walnuts will be a great substitute! Let me know if you try it out!
Is it really 4 and a 1/2 cups of grated carrots?
It seems too much.
yes, its 4 1/2 cups of carrots. Since this carrot cake is raw, it contains mostly carrots and nuts 🙂