This Easy Paleo Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe is the ultimate healthy dessert or snack! This gluten free banana bread is moist with just the right amount of sweetness and loaded with chocolate chips. This banana bread recipe is dairy-free, gluten free, and grain free!
Healthy versions of baked goods can sometimes be dense, dry, and boring, but these delicious Paleo Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Bars are an exception! Almond butter and mashed bananas keep the batter moist and tender, and chunks of dark chocolate make it feel as if you are biting into a decadent dessert. I like to make these bars to have on hand throughout the week, especially if I know it’s going to be a busy one. They are the perfect grab and go breakfast bar, mid-afternoon snack, or healthy dessert.
Best Paleo Banana Bread Recipe Ingredients
Let’s go over the ingredients used in this easy gluten free banana bread bar recipe. Using high-quality ingredients is key to producing the best banana bars!
- Almond flour: Superfine blanched almond flour works best here. You can also use almond flour made from raw whole almonds.
- Tapioca flour: Tapioca flour, sometimes labelled as “tapioca starch”, is a key ingredient to keep the banana bread from crumbling apart. If you do not have tapioca flour, replace with an equal amount of arrowroot flour.
- Coconut flour: Coconut flour helps absorb moisture and adds a great texture to the banana bread bars. I don’t recommend replacing it with anything else!
- Coconut Sugar: Coconut sugar is a great unrefined sugar to use in baking in place of brown sugar or cane sugar!
- Coconut oil: Use refined or unrefined coconut oil. My favorite is the Kirkland Organic Virgin Coconut Oil that I purchase from Costco. You can also substitute the coconut oil with ghee or grass-fed butter if you are not dairy-free.
- Eggs: Make sure that your eggs are at room temperature for the best results. If you are vegan, replace the eggs with flax eggs. Check out the notes section of the recipe for flax egg substitutes.
- Vanilla extract: Always use pure vanilla extract (not imitation) for the best tasting baked treats!
- Bananas: Extra ripe bananas are best for this paleo banana bread recipe.
- Almond butter: Use your favorite brand of creamy natural almond butter or cashew butter.
- Dark chocolate: This is the star of the show! The quality of chocolate that you use in these banana bread bars is key. My favorite paleo-friendly chocolate is Hu Kitchen chocolate. You can also use chocolate chips instead of chopped chocolate.
How To Make The Perfect Paleo Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Bars
This paleo chocolate chip banana bread bar recipe is sooo easy to make! Let’s go through the steps to make sure you end up with the perfect grain free banana bread.
STEP ONE: WHISK DRY INGREDIENTS
The first step in this paleo banana bread bar recipe is to combine all of the dry ingredients. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
STEP TWO: MIX WET INGREDIENTS
Next, you’ll combine all of the wet ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted coconut oil, eggs, vanilla extract, mashed bananas, and almond butter.
STEP THREE: ADD DRY INGREDIENTS TO WET INGREDIENTS
Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined and there are no dry spots.
STEP FOUR: ADD CHOCOLATE AND BAKE
Finally, fold the chocolate into the batter, reserving a little bit to sprinkle on top. Spread batter evenly into a parchment lined baking pan and top with the reserved chocolate. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
STEP FIVE: COOL AND CUT INTO BARS
Once baked, remove from the oven and place the baking on a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes before removing and cutting into bars!
Perfect Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Bars Recipe FAQs
How To Store Paleo Banana Bread:
Store Paleo Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Bars in an air tight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator. for up to 1 week. You can also freeze them so that you always have a healthy sweet treat on hand!
How Long Does Paleo Banana Bread Last?
Paleo Banana Bread Bars are best kept at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can You Freeze Paleo Banana Bread Bars?
Yes! I love freezing these grain free banana bread bars so that I always have a healthy sweet treat on hand! To freeze paleo banana bread bars, cover cooled bars tightly with plastic wrap and store in the freezer. Thaw bars overnight in the refrigerator or wrap the bars in aluminum foil and warm in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
How Do I Make Vegan Gluten Free Banana Bread Bars?
To make vegan gluten-free banana bread bars, replace the eggs with flax eggs. To make 1 flax egg, mix together 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons water. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes before using. For this recipe you will have to use 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons water).
More Paleo Recipes You'll Love!
- Paleo Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts
- Paleo Sandwich Bread
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Pancake Muffins
- Paleo Lemon Poppy Seed Doughnuts
- Paleo Pecan Pie
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Paleo Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Bars
- 1 cup 115 g almond flour
- ½ cup 66 g tapioca flour
- ¼ cup 25 g coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup 108 g coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ⅓ cup 60 g coconut sugar
- 2 eggs* see notes for vegan option
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large ripe bananas mashed
- ½ cup 128 g creamy almond butter or cashew butter
- 6 oz 170 g chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Whisk together almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix melted coconut oil, coconut sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, almond butter, and mashed bananas until well combined.
- Stir in dry ingredients. Fold in chocolate, reserving some to sprinkle on top.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan and top with reserved chocolate. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars.