This Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffin recipe is the best! These gluten-free muffins are moist, dairy free, and loaded with chocolate chips. This one-bowl Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffin recipe is dairy free, gluten free, low fat, with a vegan option!
If you LOVE chocolate + peanut butter + banana, you are in for a big treat today! I could eat these Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins pretty much all day. And the best part is that they are made with healthy wholesome ingredients, so I don’t even have to feel guilty for eating dessert 3 times a day. They are moist, dense, chocolatey, and pretty much the best healthy muffins you’ll ever eat.
This was actually one of the first recipes I posted on blog back in 2016. Combining chocolate, peanut butter, and banana in a delicious not-so-bad-for-you muffin is one of the best things I’ve ever done and I have not looked back. These muffins are butter-free, oil-free, gluten-free, and can be made dairy free! They are made in one bowl, with minimum prep. They are made with powdered peanut butter, which significantly cuts down the calories and fat while maintaining a nutty flavor.
Enjoy these muffins for breakfast, before a workout, as a snack, or a healthy dessert! I promise you’ll love them!
Best Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffin Recipe Ingredients
Let’s go over the ingredients used in this healthy one-bowl chocolate peanut butter banana muffin recipe. Using high-quality ingredients is key to producing the best and moist muffins!
- Bananas: Very ripe bananas are best for this healthy chocolate peanut butter banana muffin recipe.
- Powdered Peanut Butter: You can find powder peanut butter next to the regular peanut butter in most grocery stores. I use Trader Joe’s Organic Powder Peanut Butter or this one.
- Milk: Any type of milk works great in this recipe! I have made it using regular milk, almond milk, and oat milk with great results.
- Maple syrup: Honey or maple syrup can be used here. My favorite for this recipe is maple syrup!
- Coconut Sugar: Coconut sugar is a great unrefined sugar to use in baking in place of brown sugar or cane sugar!
- Eggs: Make sure that your eggs are at room temperature for the best results. If you are vegan, replace the eggs with flax eggs. Check out the notes section of the recipe for flax egg substitutes.
- Vanilla extract: Always use pure vanilla extract (not imitation) for the best tasting baked treats!
- Oat Flour: Oat flour is made from oats that have been finely ground into a flour. If you don’t have any oat flour, make your own by blending 1 ½ cups of oats in a blender or food processor until finely ground.
- Old-Fashioned Oats: Old-fashioned oats add a nice chewy texture to these muffins. Make sure that your oats are gluten free!
- Raw Cacao Powder: You can use raw cacao powder or regular cocoa powder in this recipe.
- Chocolate Chips. Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips are my favorite chocolate chips to use in these muffins! They are allergen free, high quality, and the taste is amazing. Use your favorite brand and size of chocolate chips!
How To Make The Best Moist Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
This recipe for Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins is sooo easy to make! Let’s go through the steps to make sure you end up with the perfectly moist muffins.
STEP ONE: MIX BANANAS, PEANUT BUTTER, MILK, MAPLE SYRUP, & COCONUT SUGAR
The first step in this chocolate banana muffin recipe is to whisk the mashed bananas, powdered peanut butter, milk, maple syrup, and coconut sugar together.
STEP TWO: WHISK IN EGGS AND VANILLA EXTRACT
Next, whisk in the eggs and vanilla extract until well combined and smooth.
STEP THREE: ADD DRY INGREDIENTS
Add the oat flour, oats, cacao, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the mixture. Mix until everything is well incorporated and there are no more dry spots.
STEP FOUR: FOLD IN CHOCOLATE CHIPS
Finally, fold in the chocolate chips.
STEP FIVE: FILL YOUR MUFFIN PAN AND BAKE
Place 18 muffin liners in two standard 12-cup muffin pans. Fill each well two-thirds full, about 1/3 cup of batter. I like to use a large cookie scoop for this. Top with some more chocolate chips and bake in a preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Healthy Gluten Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffin Recipe FAQs
Help! I don’t have oat flour!
What is oat flour?
Oat flour is made from ground oats. Oat flour is a great gluten free flour that can be used to make delicious cakes, muffins, cookies, breads, pancakes, etc. There are many brands of oat flour that you can find at supermarkets and natural foods stores today, but making your own is so easy and at a fraction of the price!
How to make homemade oat flour:
If you do not have oat flour, don’t worry! It is so easy to make your own. All you need is a blender or food processor and oats. Either old-fashioned or quick cooking oats can be used to make oat flour. The ratio of oats to oat flour is about 2:1. So, 2 cups of oats will make about 1 cup of oat flour. Add the oats to your blender or food processor and blend until the oats turn into a fine powder.
Store the oat flour in an air-tight container in your pantry for up to 3 months.
Can I make these muffins vegan?
Yes, to make these chocolate peanut butter banana muffins vegan, use a plant-based milk and replace the eggs with flax eggs.
How to make flax eggs: To make 1 flax egg, mix together 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons water. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes before using. For this recipe you will have to use 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 6 tablespoons water).
How do I store gluten free chocolate peanut butter banana muffins?
Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. These healthy chocolate banana muffins also freeze very well! Make sure they are fully cooled to room temperature before placing them them in an airtight, freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag. Store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- 2 medium bananas 215 g , mashed
- 1 cup 120 g powder peanut butter
- 3/4 cups 180 ml milk of your choice
- 1/4 cup 60 ml maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp-1/4 cup 22 g - 45 g coconut sugar (adjust depending on desired sweetness)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup 84 g oat flour*
- 2/3 cup 70 g old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup 20 g cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup 130 g mini chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place 18 muffin liners in two standard 12-cup muffin pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix mashed bananas, powdered peanut butter, milk, maple syrup, and coconut sugar.
- Add in eggs and vanilla. Whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Add oat flour, oats, cacao, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to wet ingredients and mix until well all of the ingredients are incorporated and there are no more dry spots.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use a large cookie scoop or a measuring cup to pour 1/3 cup of batter into prepared muffin pans.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let muffins cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool muffins on a wire rack.