The best chocolate lava cakes get a s’mores makeover! This Easy Molten S’mores Chocolate Lava Cake recipe is rich, decadent, and the ultimate dessert. Made in only 30 minutes, this will be your new go-to chocolate cake!
These Molten S’mores Chocolate Lava Cakes are an impressive and decadent chocolate dessert that are so easy to make! With just a few pantry staple ingredients, and less than 30 minutes, these lava cakes will be a new favorite.
These s’mores lava cakes are my current favorite! They are cake-y on the outside with a warm dark chocolate bursting with graham crackers and marshmallows in the center. Plus, they are so simple to make! They are impressive for dinner parties yet easy enough for casual nights in. Once you see how easy it is to make homemade molten chocolate cakes, you will never need to order them at restaurants again!
With these Molten S’more Chocolate Lava Cakes, you can enjoy your favorite summer-time treat all year long!
MOLTEN S’MORES CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKE INGREDIENTS
This molten lava cake recipe uses simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and fridge. Let’s go over the ingredients!
- Dark Chocolate. This is the star of the show. The quality of chocolate that you use in this molten chocolate lava cake is key. I love using Ghirardelli 86% dark chocolate. You can use any high quality dark chocolate or chocolate chips in this recipe.
- Salted Butter. I always bake with salted butter because it does not have any added flavorings. If you use unsalted butter, add 1/2 tsp of salt to the batter.
- Eggs. This recipe calls for two whole eggs and two egg yolks. Reserve the two egg yolks for the homemade marshmallow fluff! Room temperature eggs will give you the best results.
- Granulated Sugar. Use your favorite granulated sugar! This is the one that I use in all of my baking.
- Flour. This molten chocolate cake recipe calls for very little flour. All-purpose unbleached flour is what I always use. For a gluten free version, use all purpose gluten free flour. (Make sure you also use gluten-free graham crackers!)
- Graham Crackers. I love honey graham crackers for my s’mores. For a gluten free molten s’more chocolate lava cake, use your gluten-free graham crackers.
- Marshmallow Fluff. Homemade marshmallow fluff is so easy to make. Use the leftover egg whites from the batter. Alternatively, you can use store bought marshmallows or marshmallow fluff.
- Caramel Filled Chocolate. To make these molten s’mores chocolate lava cakes extra special, I like to add a square of Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Squares into the center of each cake. This is totally optional, but highly recommended.
HOW DO YOU MAKE MOLTEN S’MORES CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKE?
These s’mores chocolate lava cakes are sooo easy to make! Let’s go through the steps to make sure you end up with the perfect molten chocolate cakes.
1. GATHER INGREDIENTS & PREPARE RAMEKINS
The first thing I always do before beginning any recipe, is to gather all of the ingredients I will need and prepare my baking pans. This molten s’mores chocolate lava recipe calls for just a few ingredients. Make sure that your eggs are brought to room temperature.
This recipe makes 4 chocolate lava cakes. You will need four 6-ounce ramekins. I highly recommend using ramekins for optimal results. Prepare the ramekins by greasing and lightly flouring. Make sure you tap out any excess flour.
2. MAKE HOMEMADE MARSHMALLOW FLUFF
Begin by making the marshmallow fluff (if not using store-bought). To make the marshmallow fluff, add the egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar to a mixing bowl. (I like to use the bowl of my stand mixer so that I don’t have to transfer the mixture.) Place the bowl over a small pot filled with 1 inch of boiling water. Whisk the egg whites until the mixture is frothy and the sugar has dissolved.
Transfer the bowl to your stand mixer and use the whisk attachment to beat the egg whites until glossy. You can also get the same results by using a hand mixer. Set the marshmallow aside until you are ready to use.
3. PREPARE GRAHAM CRACKER CRUMBS
To make the graham cracker crumbs, simply crush 2 sheets of graham crackers. Then stir the crumbs with melted butter. Set the crumbs aside.
4. MELT THE CHOCOLATE & BUTTER TOGETHER
Now, it is time to begin making the chocolate lava cake batter. Begin by melting the butter and chocolate together. This can be done in a double boiler or in the microwave. I prefer the double boiler method, but both work just as well!
- Double boiler. Put the butter and chocolate in a heat-safe bowl and place it over over a pot of simmering water. Make sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Melt the butter with the chocolate until smooth.
- Microwave. Put the butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 60 seconds. Stir the mixture, then heat in 30 second increments. Make sure that you stir after each interval and continue until the mixture is melted and smooth.
Once the butter and chocolate mixture is fully melted and smooth, set it aside.
5. BEAT THE EGGS, EGG YOLKS & SUGAR.
Using either a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or a hand mixer, beat the eggs with the egg yolks, and sugar at high speed until pale and thickened. This should take about 1-2 minutes. If you are using unsalted butter, add the salt at this time.
6. ADD MELTED CHOCOLATE
Now it is time to add the melted and slightly cooled butter/chocolate mixture to the eggs. Beat until the mixture is smooth and the chocolate is well combined.
7. ADD IN THE FLOUR AND MIX UNTIL JUST COMBINED
Finally, add the flour and mix the batter on low speed until the flour is just combined.
8. POUR INTO RAMEKINS & BAKE
Place the prepared ramekins on a baking sheet. Scoop ¼ cup of batter into each ramekin. Top with 1 chocolate square (if desired), a tablespoon of marshmallow fluff (or 1 marshmallow) and graham cracker crumbs. Spoon another ¼ cup of batter to fill the ramekins and bake for 10-12 minutes.
9. LET THE MOLTEN S’MORES CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKES COOL SLIGHTLY
Let the molten lava cakes cool in the ramekins for 1-2 minutes. Do not worry if the tops sink a little as they cool. This is completely normal!
10. TURN MOLTEN CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKES OUT ONTO DESSERT PLATES
To remove the lava cakes from the ramekins, cover each cake with an inverted dessert plate. Carefully turn each chocolate lava cake over. Let is stand in the ramekin for about 10 seconds before unmolding.
11. TOP WITH MARSHMALLOW FLUFF AND ENJOY!
The final step to this molten s’mores chocolate lava cake recipe is to top it with the remaining marshmallow fluff. Use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallow and enjoy immediately!
[amazon_link asins=’B07SK8TBSD,B00005UP2P,B00CT9Y6J6,B07C4ZNVBR,B0182YKU1Y,B008234BMU,B074MFQVNP,B07QH7G48Y,B002859GAU’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’bakeambr-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’ce2fb2cc-ec91-4455-ab34-9f4dd2b1c480′]
MOLTEN S’MORES CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKE FAQS
CAN I MAKE MOLTEN CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKE BATTER AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, you can prepare this molten chocolate lava cake batter up to one day ahead. Store in the refrigerator and then bring the batter to room temperature before baking.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN LAVA CAKE IS DONE?
You will know the molten chocolate lava cake is done when the sides of the cakes are firm but the centers are still soft. Be very careful not to over-bake the cakes, or else they will not have gooey centers!
DO LAVA CAKES NEED TO BE SERVED WARM?
Yes! To get that melted, decadent, chocolate lava effect, molten chocolate cakes should be served immediately.
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Molten S'mores Chocolate Lava Cakes
- 4 oz 113 g butter
- 6 oz 170 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup 55 g sugar
- 2 tbsp 16 g all purpose flour
- 4 Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Squares optional
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup 110 g sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/3 cup 30 g graham cracker crumbs, about 2 sheets
- 1 1/2 tbsp 21 g butter, melted
- Fill a small pot with at least 1 1/2 inches of water. Place over high heat until boiling, then adjust temperature to a simmer. Combine egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Set over water bath, whisking constantly, until sugar dissolves and egg whites reach 175°F (79°C), about 8 and 10 minutes. Transfer to a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whip at high speed until glossy, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Graham Cracker Crumbs
- In a small bowl, combine crushed graham crackers and melted butter. Stir until combined and set aside.
Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Preheat your oven to 450°F. Butter and lightly flour (tapping out any excess flour) four 6-ounce ramekins. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Add the butter and chocolate to a heat-safe bowl and place it over over a pot of simmering water. Make sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Melt the butter with the chocolate until smooth. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar on high speed in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or in a medium mixing bowl with a hand mixer. Beat for 1-2 minutes, until mixture is palce and thickened.
- Add the melted chocolate/butter mixture to the mixing bowl and beat until well combined and smooth.
- Add the flour and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Scoop ¼ cup of batter into each prepared ramekin. Top with 1 chocolate square (if using), a tablespoon of marshmallow fluff, and spoonful of graham cracker crumbs. Spoon another ¼ cup of batter to fill the ramekins and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the sides of the cakes are firm and the centers are soft.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and cool for 1 minute. Then, place an inverted dessert plate over each ramekin and carefully turn each one over. Let stand for 10 seconds and then remove ramekin.
- Top each lava cake with remaining marshmallow fluff and use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallow. Serve immediately.