This chocolate chip sheet cake is a light and fluffy white cake studded with chocolate chips and topped with creamy vanilla buttercream frosting. A family favorite that everyone loves!
This is the BEST sheet cake recipe ever! It is easy to make, super moist and loaded with chocolate chips! It’s made in one mixing bowl and doesn’t require any fancy frosting skills! A great recipe to for any occasion!
Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best. This Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake is just that - the simple yet delicious. That cake itself is fluffy, moist, and studded with mini chocolate chips. It’s delicious, feeds a crowd, and because it is baked in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan (this one's my favorite!), it doesn’t require any fancy decorating skills. Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake is perfect for birthdays, celebrations, BBQs, or anytime you are craving a classic no-fuss dessert.
I’m a firm believer that everyone needs a go-to classic cake recipe! Today I’m sharing my family’s favorite recipe for the best chocolate chip sheet cake ever! It’s fluffy, moist, and loaded with mini chocolate chips. My favorite part?? This cake is easy enough to make anytime you crave a classic cake! The ingredients are pantry standards and the method is super simple.
If you like this recipe, make sure to check out my easy chocolate cake recipe!
THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP SHEET CAKE INGREDIENTS:
Let’s go over the ingredients used in this chocolate chip sheet cake recipe. Using high-quality ingredients is key to producing a high-quality cake!
- All-Purpose Flour. I always use unbleached all-purpose flour in my baking. You can also use pastry flour or all-purpose gluten free flour with great results as well!
- Salted Butter: I always bake with salted butter. It doesn’t contain any natural flavorings that unsalted butter has. Just two ingredients; cream and butter. You can use unsalted butter if you prefer, you may just need to increase the sea salt by ½ tsp in the recipe!
- Granulated Sugar. Use your favorite granulated sugar! This is the one that I use in all of my baking.
- Milk. Whole milk works best, but 2% or 1% will produce an equally delicious cake. I have not made this cake recipe with any plant based milk substitutes, so if you give it a try, let me know how it works out!
- Egg Whites: Cartoned egg white or separated eggs work perfectly fine in this recipe. If you use whole eggs, save the yolks for another recipe.
- Vanilla Extract. Always use pure vanilla extract (not imitation) for the best tasting baked treats!
- Mini Chocolate Chips. Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips are my favorite! They are high quality and the taste is amazing. Use your favorite brand and size of chocolate chips!
FLUFFY VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING INGREDIENTS:
- Salted Butter. I always use salted butter in my baking because it does not contain any flavorings like most unsalted butters do. If you do use unsalted butter, increase the salt by ½ tsp.
- Confectioners Sugar. Use your favorite powdered sugar in this recipe!
- Heavy Cream. I use organic heavy whipping cream in my buttercream frosting.
HOW DO YOU MAKE FLUFFY CHOCOLATE CHIP SHEET CAKE?
This recipe is super easy! However, it’s important to understand how to combine all of the ingredients and the mixing procedure involved. Even the smallest error can result in a cake with undesired texture and volume. To make this chocolate chip sheet cake, we will be using the the reverse creaming method. This method produces moist cakes with fine crumbs. Don’t be intimidated though, I will walk you through all of the steps to make sure your cake turns out perfectly!
WHAT IS THE REVERSE CREAMING METHOD?
This Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake recipe is make using the reverse creaming method (AKA the two-stage method). Rather than creaming the butter with the sugar, flour and other dry ingredients are added in the first step and mixed with the butter. This step coats the particles of flour with fat which limits the gluten development, resulting in a tender and light crumb.
1. GATHER INGREDIENTS & PREPARE BAKING PAN
The first thing I always do before beginning any recipe, is to gather all of the ingredients I will need and prepare my baking pan. This chocolate chip sheet cake recipe calls for just a few ingredients. Make sure that your butter, egg whites, and milk are brought to room temperature before beginning.
Prepare a 9x13-inch baking pan by greasing it and then lining it with parchment paper.
STEP 2: COMBINE DRY INGREDIENTS
On low speed, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
STEP 3: ADD BUTTER AND MIX UNTIL WELL COMBINED
Add the room temperature butter to the flour mixture and mix on low speed for two minutes. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix on low speed for another two minutes.
STEP 4: ADD SUGAR AND HALF OF MILK
The next step in this sheet cake recipe is adding the sugar and half of the milk to the butter/flour mixture. Mix on low speed for four minutes. I recommend using a timer to make sure all of the times are accurate.
STEP 5: COMBINE WET INGREDIENTS
In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together the remaining milk, vanilla extract, and egg whites.
STEP 6: ADD WET INGREDIENTS TO MIXING BOWL
Next you will add the wet ingredients to the batter in three parts. Begin by adding ⅓ of the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until combined. Then add half of the remaining wet ingredients and mix well. Finally, add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix on low speed for a total of five minutes.
STEP 7: MIX IN CHOCOLATE CHIPS
Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the chocolate chips.
STEP 8: POUR BATTER INTO PAN & BAKE!
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN A SHEET CAKE IS DONE BAKING?
You will know that the sheet cake is done baking when the top spring back when lightly pressed in and a wooden skewer or toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
STEP 9: COOL CAKE
Let the cake cool in the baking pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. This will prevent the cake from breaking when it is removed from the pan.
To remove the cake from the pan, use the parchment paper to lift the cake out of the pan and transfer it onto a wire rack to cool completely.
STEP 10: MAKE FLUFFY VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
This classic vanilla buttercream frosting used to top this chocolate chip sheet cake is so good, you’ll want to eat it by the spoonful!
HOW DO YOU MAKE CLASSIC BUTTERCREAM FROSTING?
Here’s how to make classic buttercream frosting:
- Beat the butter well before adding the other ingredients. You can make your buttercream frosting using a stand mixer or a hand mixer.
- Carefully add the confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time.
- Finally, beat in the heavy cream until light and fluffy.
STEP 11: ASSEMBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP SHEET CAKE
Once the sheet cake has cooled to room temperature, and you have prepared the frosting, it is time to assemble the cake! Spread the buttercream over the cooled cake. Use and offset spatula to even out the frosting and top with mini chocolate chips.
STEP 12: CUT & ENJOY!
Cut into squares and enjoy! This cake is best served right away at room temperature. If you are preparing the cake in advance, keep it in the refrigerator. Before you are ready to serve the cake, remove it from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
FAQS ABOUT THIS CHOCOLATE CHIP SHEET CAKE RECIPE
WHAT TYPE OF CAKE PAN DO I USE FOR SHEET CAKES?
For this sheet cake recipe, I like to use a metal 9x13-inch baking pan. If you plan on keeping the cake in the pan, I would recommend using a glass 9x13-inch baking dish for a prettier presentation! To prepare a glass baking pan, simply grease with butter or nonstick spray. There is no need to line the pan with parchment paper if you plan on serving the cake straight from the pan!
HOW DO YOU KEEP CHOCOLATE CHIPS FROM SINKING IN A CAKE?
To prevent the chocolate chips from sinking during the baking process, simply toss the chocolate chips in a little bit of flour before folding into the batter.
HOW TO MAKE A MOIST AND FLUFFY SHEET CAKE
For the perfectly moist sheet cake, it is important to mix the flour and butter thoroughly. Mixing at a low speed and timing mixing times is key here! Stop your mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl frequently during mixing to develop a smooth, well-incorporated batter.
HOW TO STORE A SHEET CAKE
If you have any leftovers, you will need to cover and store your cake in the refrigerator. When storing frosted sheet cakes in the refrigerator, I always chill them for about 15 minutes to harden the frosting. Then, I loosely cover the cake in plastic wrap or place it in a cake keeper. This Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake can be stored for up to 5 days covered in the refrigerator.
More Cake Recipes You'll Love
Fresh Strawberry Cake - made with fresh strawberries has no artificial colors or flavors.
Rose and Pink Peppercorn Cake - delicious, unique, and so pretty!
Banana Nut Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting - an easy one layer moist cake loaded with ripe bananas.
Orange Blossom Semolina Cake - sweet, moist, and absolutely delicious.
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake
- 1 ⅔ cups 250 g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 9 tbsp 125 g butter, room temperature
- 2 cups 313 g sugar
- 1 cup 240 ml milk, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup 160 ml egg whites, about 4 eggs
- 1 cup 175 g mini chocolate chips
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup 226 g butter, room temperature
- 4 cups 450 g confectioner’s sugar
- 3-4 tbsp heavy cream
- mini chocolate chips for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add softened butter and mix on low speed for 2 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix on low speed for another 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar ½ cup of milk. Mix on low speed for 4 minutes.
- In a large glass measuring cup, combine remaining ½ cup of milk, vanilla extract, and egg whites. Add to the batter in 3 parts, mixing on low speed after each addition. Once all of the liquids have been added, continue mixing on low speed for a total of 5 minutes.
- Fold in chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool 15 minutes in the pan. Using the parchment paper, lift the cake out of the pan and transfer it onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter until creamy. Add the confectioner’s sugar 1 cup at a time. Add heavy cream and beat until light and fluffy.
- Spread the buttercream over the cooled cake and top with mini chocolate chips. Cut into squares and serve!