These Dark Chocolate Oat Bars feature a rich layer of dark chocolate sandwiched between a layer of buttery rye shortbread and oat crumble. The bars are decadent enough for dessert, but they also make the perfect mid-day snack.
Dark Chocolate Crumb Bars
These crumb bars combine rich dark chocolate and buttery shortbread into a mouthwatering layered treat. Not only are they easy to make, but they taste great too! Plus, they use basic pantry ingredients that you probably have on hand already.
Ingredients for Dark Chocolate Oat Bars
Let’s go over the ingredients you will need for this dark chocolate rye crumb bar recipe. Using high-quality ingredients is key to producing the best oatmeal crumb bars!
- Butter: I always bake with salted butter because it does not have any added flavorings. If you use unsalted butter, add 1/2 tsp of salt to the batter.
- Flour: I always use unbleached all-purpose flour in my baking. You can also use pastry flour or all-purpose gluten free flour with great results as well!
- Rye flour
- Sugar: Use your favorite granulated or organic cane sugar!
- Chocolate chips: Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips are my favorite! They are high quality and the taste is amazing. Use your favorite brand and size of chocolate chips!
- Sweetened condensed milk: Use your favorite brand of sweetened condensed milk. I do not recommend using a fat-free version.
- Rolled oats: Rolled oats (aka old-fashioned oats) work best in these bars as they give the topping a better texture.
- Baking powder
How to Make Dark Chocolate Rye Crumb Bars
- Make the base. Melt the butter. Once the butter browns slightly and becomes fragrant, remove from heat. Whisk together flour, rye flour, sugar, and salt. Add the melted butter. Transfer to the prepared baking pan. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.
- Make the filling. Heat butter, chocolate chips, and sweetened condensed milk over medium heat. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour filling over the baked base and use a spatula to smooth.
- Make the topping. Combine flour, rye flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in cold cubed butter until crumbs form. Mix in walnuts. Sprinkle topping over the chocolate layer and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool and cut into bars. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into bars.
More Chocolate Bar Recipes You’ll Love
- Dark Chocolate Tahini Bars
- No-Bake Dark Chocolate Nut Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter and Banana Collagen Bars
- Chocolate Coconut Caramel Bars
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Dark Chocolate Oat Bars
These Dark Chocolate Rye Crumb Bars feature a rich layer of dark chocolate sandwiched between two layers of buttery rye shortbread. The bars are decadent enough for dessert, but they also make the perfect mid-day snack.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 16 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 14 tbsp (200 g) butter
- 1 ⅔ cups (210 g) flour
- ½ cup (50 g) rye flour
- ⅓ cup (67 g) sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp (14 g) butter
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips (120 g)
- 7 oz (198 g) sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup (63 g) flour
- ⅓ cup (30 g) rye flour
- ½ cup (40 g) rolled oats
- 2 tbsp (30 g) sugar
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 tbsp (70 g) cold butter, cubed
- ⅓ cup (40 g) chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8-in baking pan with parchment paper.
- Base: Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter browns slightly and becomes fragrant, remove from heat. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, rye flour, sugar, and salt. Add the melted butter and mix to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking pan, packing tightly in an even layer. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Filling: While the base is in the oven, prepare the filling. Heat butter, chocolate chips, and sweetened condensed milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Pour filling over baked base and use a small offset spatula to smooth into an even layer.
- Topping: To make the topping, combine flour, rye flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Use a pastry blade, fork, or your hands to cut in cold cubed butter until crumbs form. Mix in walnuts. Sprinkle topping over the chocolate layer and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Carefully use the parchment paper to lift from pan and cut into bars.
Keywords: dark chocolate, chocolate crumb bars, rye crumb bars, crumble bars, chocolate oat bars