A beautiful Spinach Quiche with Whole-Grain Crust that is so easy to put together and perfect for brunching!
Quiche is one of the EASIEST and TASTIEST breakfast ideas (check out my Roasted Beet Spinach and Goat Cheese Quiche). All you have to do is whisk all of the filling ingredients and pour the mixture into a pie shell. Then the oven does the rest of the work for you. The best part is that the quiche can be prepared the night before and baked the next morning.
You can basically put whatever you want into your quiche. I prefer to keep it simple with spinach, shallots, bacon, and CHEESE. You can not forget about the cheese!
Homemade crusts can sometimes be intimidating and time consuming, but this one ... not at all. This is my go-to crust recipe. Its made with stone ground whole wheat flour and oats which add a nuttiness to the flavor, a beautiful golden color, and the most delicate texture. To make the crust, just pulse all of the ingredients into the food processor and then pour into your pie pan or tart shell. No kneading or rolling required!
My favorite part about quiche is that it can be served for many any meal - breakfast, brunch, lunch, a snack, or even a dinner side dish. Whatever the occasion, this is an impressive dish to feed a crowd!
Spinach Quiche with Whole-Grain Crust
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup ground oats
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cold butter cubed
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-6 tablespoon cold water
- ½ cup Canadian bacon
- 10 oz baby spinach
- 1 medium shallot diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cream
- 2 cups grated cheese I used a mixture of parmesan, cheddar, mozzarella, and halloumi
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- Combine flour, ground oats, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add cubed butter and olive oil. Pulse until mixture is a sand consistency. Add 4 tablespoon of water and process to form a dough. If the mixture is too crumbly, add more water (a tablespoon at a time) until a dough forms. Press the mixture into a tart shell or pie pan. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake quiche crust 10 minutes, remove from oven and let cool slightly while you prepare the filling.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and bacon. Cook until shallots become translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add spinach, tossing until it begins to wilt. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, milk, and cream. Whisk until smooth. Mix in grated cheese, thyme, salt, and pepper. Gently fold in cooled spinach mixture.
- Pour filling into prepared crust and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before cutting.