A fluffy banana coconut tres leches cake soaked with coconut milk, frosted with whipped cream, toasted coconut flakes, and topped with caramelized bananas.
You guys. I bring to you heaven in cake form.
Seriously. This Banana Coconut Tres Leches Cake is amazing.
To die for.
Words cannot describe how much love I have for this Banana Coconut Tres Leches Cake. Oh, and the caramelized bananas, are not optional. Seriously, they take this cake to a whole new level.
The cake is a simple banana sponge cake. Then, a milk mixture of coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk, and whole milk gets poured all over the cake. And once the cake soaks up all the milk, you end up with the moistest, tastiest, dreamiest cake ever.
Then, the cake gets topped with fresh whipped cream and toasted coconut flakes. Once the cake is ready to be served, each slice gets a nice big serving of caramelized bananas.
Best. Dessert. Ever.
Banana Coconut Tres Leches Cake
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup 1 stick melted butter
- 1 cup mashed bananas about 3
- ⅔ cups milk
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes toasted
- 4 bananas cut into slices
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 inch round baking pan or a 9 x 13-in pan and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium size bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugars with eggs until pale and fluffy. Add vanilla. Whisk in melted butter and mashed bananas.
- Add ½ of flour mixture to wet ingredients, mixing gently to combine. Add ⅔ cup milk, mix well. Add rest of dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely in pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk, and milk until combined.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, poke holes all over using a wooden skewer or fork.
- Gradually pour milk mixture over cake. Refrigerate 2-3 hours.
- To make the whipped cream, beat heavy cream with an electric mixer on medium high speed until peaks form. Once cake has absorbed the milk mixture, frost cake with whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes.
- To make the caramelized bananas, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil. Once oil begins to bubble, add banana slices, sugar, and salt. Cook 5 minutes.
- To serve, place a slice of cake on a plate and top with caramelized bananas. Enjoy!