Gluten Free Chocolate Buckwheat Waffles with Chocolate Maple Syrup - made with healthy wholesome ingredients. Delicious and the perfect start to any day. (gluten free, grain free, dairy free)
Are you a waffle or a pancake person?
I recently rediscovered my love for waffles after digging out my waffle maker from my storage unit a few months ago. It reminded me what I have been missing out on all of these months without my handy waffle maker.
I occasionally order waffles when I go for brunch, but my all time favorite time of day to eat a waffle is for dessert. A huge scoop of ice cream over a fresh warm waffle, drizzled with Nutella - yes please!!
Unfortunately I can't have my over-the-top waffle sundaes every day, but these Gluten Free Chocolate Buckwheat Waffles are healthy enough for breakfast and so-so good, you can enjoy them for dessert too!
Ok, I am dying to tell you about these waffles. They are pure bliss, in every way possible. And one more excuse to have chocolate for breakfast.
They are made with buckwheat flour which I love to use in gluten-free recipes like these Gluten Free Buckwheat Pancakes. Commonly confused as a grain, buckwheat is actually a seed - so these waffles are also grain-free. Buckwheat is very nutritious and packed with protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Plus it adds a nice nutty taste which goes so well with chocolate.
I topped the waffles with sliced strawberries, toasted almonds, and Chocolate Maple Syrup.
Yes, CHOCOLATE Maple Syrup. Its genius. Honestly, I don't know why I haven't thought about this sooner.
Chocolate Buckwheat Waffles (Gluten Free, Grain Free, Dairy Free)
Chocolate Maple Syrup
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup <a href="https://www.ghirardelli.com/100-unsweetened-ground-cocoa- 8-oz-61703" target="_blank">cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- sliced strawberries
- toasted almonds
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, whisk buckwheat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In an other bowl, whisk eggs, milk, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until combined.
- When your waffle iron is hot, coat with butter or spray and spoon ½ cup of batter. Cook according to your waffle iron's manual.
- Top waffles with sliced strawberries, almonds, and drizzle chocolate maple syrup.
Chocolate Maple Syrup
- In a small pot, bring water and maple syrup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium/low and whisk in cocoa powder. Simmer for 2 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and pinch of salt.