Disclosure: This post has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #RedHotSummer #IPTSOE #CollectiveBias
Fried chicken gets a healthier twist in this Oven "fried" Buffalo Chicken Sandwich with Spicy Mayo and a sweet and tangy slaw.
Summer time is almost here, which means BBQs, picnics, and lots of outdoor get-togethers. One of my favorite things about living in Astoria is being so close to Astoria Park. The park is located along the East River and has a beautiful view of the NYC skyline. Being one of the largest open space in Queens, the park is my favorite place for picnics. And what's a picnic without some delicious sandwiches? Healthier OVEN "FRIED" BUFFALO CHICKEN SANDWICHES - to be more specific. Made with Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce, obviously. Because if it ain't Frank's RedHot, it ain't buffalo! Seriously, Frank's RedHot is perfect for summer. Check out their site for their Buffalo Chicken Sandwich and more summer time inspiration.
Buffalo chicken is one of those things that every loves. Even my sister, who doesn't like spicy foods, loves buffalo chicken. Whenever I'm making buffalo chicken, I always use Frank's RedHot because it's the perfect combination of flavor and heat. I find that it enhances the flavor of food rather than overpower it with heat. And its so versatile that it can be used for a wide variety of dishes - on top of pizza, over eggs, in sauces, on burgers. Seriously guys, I Put That $#!+ On Everything!
This chicken sandwich is perfect for picnics because it can be prepared ahead of time, wrapped, and transported, while remaining crispy the whole time. Plus, it's baked - not fried - which means zero grease burns and no guilt after eating it. win, win.
The chicken gets soaked in a buttermilk and hot sauce mixture, which makes it so moist, tender, and flavorful. Then, it gets dredged in a crispy coating and in the oven it goes. Yes, it's that easy.
Once the chicken is baked to the perfect crispiness, it is covered in a homemade buffalo sauce made with Frank's RedHot Original. I love all of Frank's RedHot sauces because they ALWAYS bring a special kick to any meal. Seriously guys, this is the secret ingredient for the perfect picnic!
Click on the coupon below to get $1 off of any Frank's RedHot Sauce.
And since Frank’s RedHot Sauce is the most kick-ass hot sauce out there, I mixed some mayonnaise + hot sauce for the most delicious spicy mayo. The sandwiches are served on fresh pretzel rolls and topped with a sweet and tangy slaw.
Perfect sandwich, right? It’s lightened up so you don’t have to feel guilty, yet it's soooo delicious. Perfect for your next BBQ or picnic.
So, go grab yourself a bottle of Frank's RedHot and celebrate summer with this Oven "fried" Buffalo Chicken Sandwich!!
Oven "fried" Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- 1 lb chicken breasts about 2 chicken breasts, cut in half widthwise
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup Frank's RedHot Original
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 pretzel buns
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup Frank's RedHot Original
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon Frank's RedHot Original
- 1 ½ cups thinly sliced cabbage red and green
- ½ cup grated carrots
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- salt to taste
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, black pepper, and paprika. Set aside.
- Add chicken breast halves to gallon size zip top bag. Pour buttermilk, hot sauce, salt, and 1 tablespoon of spice mixture into bag. Close bag and mix to combine. Marinate chicken in refrigerator for 1 hour or over night.
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine panko crumbs, cornmeal, flour, and remaining spice mixture. Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture and dredge with crumb mixture. Press crumb coating onto chicken, making sure it is completely covered. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet and lightly brush with the olive oil. Bake 15-20 minutes. Then, flip the chicken and bake another 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- To make the buffalo sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in olive oil, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Place in a medium size bowl and set aside.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, place the pieces into the buffalo sauce tossing gently to coat completely.
- To serve, stir mayonnaise and hot sauce in a small bowl. Spread the spicy mayo on the bottom of each bun. Add the chicken and top with slaw. Cover with top of bun and EAT!
To Make the Slaw:
- Place sliced cabbage and shredded carrot in a salad bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, and salt. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss gently to combine.
this was the very first meal i ever prepared for my boyfriend when we started dating. we live in Italy and he is Italian....lots of very new flavors for him (frank's red hot smuggled in my suitcase from the states!).
four years later and he STILL is talking about it. we made it again last night and it was better than ever. I never leave recipe comments but somehow this one has become something really special for us and it felt right to say thank you!! xx
Angelina Papanikolaou says
You made my day!! I'm SO happy that you and your boyfriend have enjoyed this recipe for so many years and will enjoy it for many more to come! <3 <3
1 tbs of salt seems super excessive, is that a typo?
Hi Lex! 1 tbsp of salt is correct (a lot of it wont stick), but you can adjust it according to your preference.