Healthy Smoothie Bowl - Banana "ice cream" topped with Berry Chia Jam, fresh fruit, coconut, and hemp hearts.
I’m back! I went back to Cincinnati to celebrate Easter with my family. It was such a fun time. My cousins, aunts, uncles, and friends travelled from New York City, New Jersey, Atlanta, and Greece to enjoy the weekend together. Easter is the most important holiday for the Greek Orthodox religion. There are many traditions that go along with the holiday, but I’ll save that for it’s own separate post!
Let’s take a minute to talk about how much food and alcohol was consumed in the 5 days I was in Ohio… So.Much.Food.
So, as soon as I flew back into New York City, I felt like I needed to get back on track.
I’m not a huge fan of smoothies. Ok, actually I can’t stand smoothies. Drinking a smoothie is like a form of torture to me. This smoothie bowl, on the other hand, is a whole different story.
If you freeze a banana, then blend it in a food processor, something magical happens. Due to its high pectin content, it becomes rich and creamy, just like ice cream!
Banana ice cream is the base for this smoothie bowl. Then, I top it with a Chia Berry Jam which is so easy to make! TIP: save the leftover jam and use it on top of toast, crackers, or a warm, crispy waffle. You’ll never want to buy store-bought jam again!
The best thing about this smoothie bowl, is that you can add whatever you want to the banana base. Any type of fruit you have on hand works great. Other toppings can be flax seeds, chia seeds, nuts, bee pollen, etc. Sometimes, I also add a spoonful of almond or cashew butter and the results are heavenly!
More Recipes You'll Love!
Chocolate Hazelnut Smoothie Bowl - tastes just like Nutella, but healthier.
Superfood Chocolate Espresso Granola - addicting, delicious, and nutritious.
Healthy No-Bake Brownies - chewy, indulgent, and super fudgy.
Skinny Banana Bread - so moist and lightly sweetened.
Blackberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies - made with only five healthy ingredients!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Chia Berry Jam
Chia Berry Jam
- 3 cups 1 pound fresh or frozen berries
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Bring berries to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Once boiling, add maple syrup, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- With a wooden spoon, lightly mash berries.
- Stir in chia seeds and cook until mixture thickens, stirring frequently (about 15 minutes).
- Once the jam thickens, remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Place in a glass jar and store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- 2 bananas sliced and completely frozen
- Chia berry jam
- Fresh berries
- Toppings: coconut flakes hemp hearts, flax seeds, nuts, cashew butter, etc.
- Slice bananas into ½-inch pieces and place in ziplock bag. Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Once banana slices are completely frozen, place them in a food processor.
- Pulse the slices to break them up. Then blend until completely smooth. At first, it will look very crumbly but continue processing until completely smooth and creamy (ice cream-like texture).
- Divide mixture into 4 servings.
- Add 2 tbsp of Chia Berry Jam to each serving. Then top with fresh fruit, and any other toppings you like.