Creamy chocolate hazelnut spread mixed with cake crumbs and chopped hazelnuts, then dipped in melted dark chocolate - the ultimate chocolate treat!
Chocolate Hazelnut Cake Balls! They are sweet and nutty and the perfect little bite of chocolate heaven. Made with crumbled cake (homemade or box-mix, we aren't judging here!), chopped hazelnuts, and chocolate hazelnut spread, these cake balls are the ultimate dessert.
The centers are sweet and moist and loaded with chopped hazelnuts for a little crunch. The outside is covered in dark chocolate, just as any dessert should be!
These cake balls are great for freezing. Make a big batch and stick them in the freezer for last minute dessert emergencies. Serve with a tall class of milk, because you won't be able to eat just one!
Ingredients You Need For Chocolate Hazelnut Cake Balls
chocolate hazelnut spread
How To Make Chocolate Hazelnut Cake Truffles
bake and cool cake completely
add chopped hazelnuts and chocolate spread to cake crumbs
coat in melted chocolate
top with more hazelnuts.
Tips For Making The Best Chocolate Hazelnut Cake Balls
Make sure your cake is completely cool before adding the rest of the ingredients. This will make it a lot easier to form the balls.
Use roasted hazelnuts skinned hazelnuts for the best flavor. These are my favorite, but you can certainly roast them yourself.
Let's talk about the chocolate hazelnut spread. I use gianduja, which is a smooth, creamy spread made of hazelnut paste and dark chocolate. Instead of gianduja, you can use Nutella or any other chocolate hazelnut spread that you prefer.
Once you form the cake balls, make sure to refrigerate them for at least 30 minutes before dipping them in melted chocolate. Using a high quality chocolate, such as Valrhona, will make these cake balls even more irresistible!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Chocolate Hazelnut Cake Balls
- 1 chocolate cake homemade or boxed cake works, I used this recipe
- ½ cup 70 g roasted hazelnuts, chopped, plus more for topping
- ½ cup 160 g chocolate hazelnut spread
- 8 oz 226 g dark chocolate, chopped
- Make the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Prepare cake according to recipe and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool cake completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, crumble cake into small crumbs. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the chopped hazelnuts and chocolate hazelnut spread to cake crumbs. Mix until combined.
- Form the mixture into tablespoon-sized balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until firm.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler. Dip chilled cake balls, one at a time, into melted chocolate, shaking off any excess. Place coated cake balls on parchment lined baking sheet. Once chocolate has hardened, drizzle with remaining chocolate and top with chopped hazelnuts.
- Refrigerate until completely set, about 15 minutes. Store cake balls in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Leave a Reply