Made with fresh summer berries and a buttery crust, this American Flag Mixed Berry Pie is easy to make, delicious, and perfect for the 4th of July!
I made us a pie! A 4th of July Mixed Berry Pie!!!
Complete with an American Flag crust! I mean, does it get any more patriotic than this?!
Lets begin with the filling. Its ⅓ blueberries and blackberries and ⅔ strawberries and raspberries. To make the filling, you just toss the berries with some sugar and cornstarch and a little lemon juice. Then you use a piece of folded aluminum foil to divide the pie into two sections (don't worry, you'll remove the foil before baking). When spooning the berry mixture into your pie crust, make sure to use a slotted spoon to drain off as much liquid as possible. This way you won't end up with a soggy pie.
Moving onto more exciting things ... let's talk crust! It's buttery and light and pretty much the most perfect pie crust ever. I used a little almond flour in it, which added a nice subtle nutty flavor. The crust takes less than 5 minutes to make in the food processor. Once you make the crust, divide into ⅓ and ⅔ sections. The larger portion will be rolled out for the bottom crust and the smaller portion will be used for the topping.Look at those stars and stripes! Aren’t they so cute? I used a small star shaped cookie cutter to cut out the stars and a sharp pairing knife to cut out wavy stripes.
The final step is to brush the crust with an egg wash and give it a sprinkle of raw (Turbinado) sugar. Then, into the oven it goes!
I know that a warm pie is very hard to resist, but I would recommend waiting at least 3-4 hours before cutting it so that the filling has time to set.
Have a wonderful 4th!!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Easy American Mixed Berry Pie for the 4th of July
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup cold butter cubed
- 5 tablespoon ice water
- 16 oz strawberries hulled and sliced
- 6 oz raspberries
- 12 oz blueberries
- 6 oz blackberries
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- turbinado sugar
- To make the crust, combine flour, almond flour, and salt in a food processor. Pulse 2-3 times to combine. Add in cold butter and pulse until sand-like consistency. Add water until dough forms.
- Remove dough from food processor and divide into ⅓ and ⅔ portions. Shape each portion into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the strawberries and raspberries into a bowl and the blueberries and blackberries into a separate bowl. Add sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl and mix to combine. Add ⅔ of the sugar mixture and 2 tablespoon lemon juice to strawberries/raspberries. Gently toss to combine. Add remaining sugar mixture and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice to blueberries and blackberries and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Remove larger portion of dough from refrigerator and roll out on a lightly floured surface into a ⅛-inch thick circle. Carefully transfer dough to pie pan. Fold the edges of the dough over itself and use a fork to create a crimped edge.
- Fold a piece of aluminum foil several times to a create a strip. Place into pie crust to divide the crust into ⅓ and ⅔ sections. Use a slotted spoon to spoon blueberry/blackberry mixture into the ⅓ portion of the pie crust (make sure to strain out any extra juices). Spoon strawberry/raspberry mixture into the larger portion of the pie. Carefully remove foil.
- Take the smaller portion of dough out of the refrigerator and roll it out on a lightly floured surface until it's ¼-inch thick. Use a sharp knife to cut 5 wavy strips of dough to create the stripes. Place over strawberry/raspberry mixture. Use a star shaped cookie cutter to cut out 10-12 stars from remaining dough. Place stars over blueberry/blackberry mixture. Brush entire crust with an egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Place pie pan on a baking sheet and cover edge of crust with aluminum foil. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven and let cool at least 3-4 hours before serving.