Healthy, gluten free Paleo Chocolate Covered Strawberry Pop Tarts made with a fresh strawberry filling. This healthy make-ahead breakfast, snack or dessert is easy to make, and perfect for using up your summer strawberries! (gluten free, grain free, refined sugar free)
The classic breakfast pastry from your childhood just got a healthy upgrade.
Admit it; You sort of loved Pop Tarts as a kid. The strawberry flavor was always one of my favorite.
Classic pop tarts are filled with chemical ingredients and more sugar than you ever want to admit to eating. This recipe for Paleo Chocolate Covered Strawberry Pop Tarts proves that you can have your pastry and eat it too. 😉
With a few major ingredient swaps, like maple syrup for refined sugar, and fresh strawberries for artificial red coloring, anyone can enjoy these Paleo-friendly pop tarts guilt-free!
These pop tarts are a spin off of my Paleo Blueberry Pop Tart recipe that I shared a few weeks ago.
They are gluten free, grain free, and made with no refined sugar but, you will never be able to tell!
The crust is tender and buttery.
The filling is fruity and not too sweet.
And the dark chocolate topping makes these breakfast pastries extra special!
If you make this recipe, take a photo and tag #bakedambrosia on Instagram and Facebook so that I can see your creations and feature them on Instagram! To stay up to date with the latest recipes, follow Baked Ambrosia on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. ♡
Paleo Chocolate Covered Strawberry Pop Tarts (gluten free, grain free, refined sugar free)
- 1¼ cup almond flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoon coconut oil solid or grass-fed butter cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 lb strawberries sliced
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 4 oz dark chocolate melted
- freeze dried strawberries optional
- Prepare the filling first, by heating strawberries, lemon juice, and maple syrup in a heavy bottom saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and continue cooking until strawberries begin to break down. Cooking for 15-20 more minutes, stirring frequently, or until mixture has reduced and thickened. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add almond flour, tapioca starch, and salt to the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. Add coconut oil or butter and pulse until a sand-like consistency.
- Add egg and maple syrup. Process until a dough forms.
- Transfer dough onto your work surface that has been lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Roll out dough to about ¼-in thick. Cut into 8 5x3-in rectangles. Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of filling onto half of the rectangles, then cover with remaining half. Use a fork to crimp the edges together on all sides.
- Transfer the pop tarts to the prepared baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes, until golden. Cool.
- Once cooled, spoon melted dark chocolate over each pop tart and top with chopped freeze dried strawberries. Allow to set.
- Store pop tarts in an air tight container for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.