Sweet and spicy flavors come together for a delicious and comforting Autumn side dish.
I’m currently living in a world where you can experience all 4 seasons in one week. In the past week it has been spring, then we got a little taste of summer; yesterday was fall, and today it’s COLD.
Mother Nature make up your mind!
Last week I was complaining that it didn’t feel like it was mid-October because everything just seemed so … green.
But then today, I wake up and BOOM – the leaves are suddenly red, orange, and yellow, and ALL over the ground.
Well, now that it officially feels (and looks) like fall, I thought it would only be appropriate to share a recipe for one of Autumn’s finest offerings; Acorn Squash.
I’m a huge squash lover – acorn, butternut, spaghetti, delicata … the list could go on forever. Even though I enjoy it all year round, there’s just something special about roasting squash in the colder months. For me, it is a comfort food that makes the house feel cozy.
This recipe is extremely easy. Just toss wedges of acorn squash with maple syrup, melted butter, and spices. Then the oven does the rest for you.
I topped the roasted squash wedges with pomegranate arils (another fall favorite) for a juicy crunch.
You can serve this as a side dish or as a salad. Top a bowl of your favorite greens (I love arugula) with the roasted acorn squash, sprinkle on a few pomegranate arils, and drizzle with olive oil and vinegar.
Spicy Maple Roasted Acorn Squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- pomegranate arils
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Slice squash into wedges.
- In a small bowl, mix together melter butter, vinegar, maple syrup, and spices.
- Coat squash wedges with spice mixture.
- Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover with foil and place in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and roast another 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Place in serving dish and top with pomegranate arils.