Perfect for breakfast or as a snack, this Vegan Walnut Ricotta Toast with Strawberries and Sweet Dukkah - is made with crispy toast topped with creamy walnut ricotta, fresh strawberries and a drizzle of honey.
Now this is MY kind of toast.
Vegan Walnut Ricotta Toast with Strawberries and Sweet Dukkah.
My tastebuds are dancing!
It’s a perfect breakfast. Or a perfect snack for the time when you need a little pick-me-up but don't want to settle for a cookie or um a brownie.
It starts with walnut ricotta. It's not the milky ricotta that you are used to, but its a vegan alternative, which is surprisingly very delicious. Its creamy, full of nutrients, and so so easy to make. All you need is raw walnuts, hot water, and a blender.
Walnuts are a nutrient powerhouse - protein, fiber, magnesium, and phosphorus. They are also the only nut that supply a rich source of ALA Omega-3s. Bottom line, don't be afraid of healthy fats! #TEAMGOODFAT
Next comes the strawberries. On top of the strawberries, a nice drizzle of honey and finally some more crunch - sweet dukkah!
Dukkah is a traditional Egyptian blend made of nuts, herbs, and spices and served with crusty bread, veggies, and olive oil. Since this toast is on the sweeter side, I omitted traditional dukkah spices like cumin and coriander seeds and replaced them with some cinnamon, a touch of coconut sugar, and hemp seeds.
Vegan Walnut Ricotta Toast with Strawberries and Sweet Dukkah
- 4 slices of your favorite crusty bread
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 cups hot water
- 4-8 strawberries sliced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp sweet dukkah
- ¼ cup almonds finely chopped
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp pistachios finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Walnut Ricotta: Soak walnuts in hot water for 1 hour. Add soaked walnuts with ⅓ cup of the soaking water a blender and puree until smooth. If you want a looser texture, add more water a tablespoon at at time until desired consistency. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the sweet dukkah by heating a frying pan over medium heat. Add chopped almonds, hemp seeds, chopped pistachios, chia seeds, and sesame seeds. Cook 2-3 minutes until aromatic. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Stir in coconut sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Store in an air tight container.
- Toast the bread slices. Spread walnut ricotta over toast, then place sliced strawberries on top. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle sweet dukkah. Enjoy!