If you’re craving the nostalgic flavors of s’mores fused with decadent, fudgy brownies, this S’mores Brownie recipe is exactly what you need. Imagine a layer of graham crackers, a moist and fudgy brownie, melted chocolate, and a gooey marshmallow layer all layered together to create an irresistible dessert. These brownies are a s’mores lover’s dream! They are a showstopper, perfect for summer parties and get-togethers!
What Readers Say:
“I just tried these and they’re definitely the best brownies I have ever tasted! Thanks for the great recipe!!“
Why This Recipe Works
The beauty of this recipe lies in its decadence, the simple ingredients, and how they come together. This recipe adapts classic s’mores ingredients – graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate – transforming them into an unforgettable brownie form. Each layer contributes to a singular brownie experience, akin to having several of your favorite desserts unified into one.
What are S’mores Brownies
S’mores brownies have all the key ingredients you’d find in the classic campfire treat. There’s the graham crackers, the chocolate, and of course, the toasted marshmallows.
Here is a breakdown of these brownies:
- Graham crackers
- Homemade brownies
- Toasted marshmallows
This dessert starts with a crispy graham cracker base which gets topped with a thick layer of rich, fudgy brownies. While the brownies are still hot, we melt some chocolate squares over top of them and then top the whole thing off with marshmallows. The marshmallows get a quick flash under the broiler or with a kitchen torch to give them a beautiful char.
- Graham crackers: The bedrock of the recipe. Crumbled graham crackers are mixed with melted butter and light brown sugar, culminating in a crust that is both sweet and buttery.
- Butter: This crucial ingredient brings a rich, creamy flavor to the brownies. It’s best to use unsalted butter at room temperature.
- Sugars: A blend of light brown sugar and white sugar gives the right level of sweetness to this dessert. Brown sugar accentuates the graham cracker crust’s flavor, while white sugar sweetens the brownie batter.
- Chocolate: For this recipe, I like to use bittersweet or dark chocolate to balance out the sweetness of the marshmallows. If you prefer the classic, use a milk chocolate bar.
- Marshmallows: You can use any size marshmallows you like – mini, regular, or jumbo. Mini marshmallows are ideal due to their delightful melt-in-your-mouth texture. They form a layer of gooey marshmallows that’s hard to resist.
- Base preparation: Arrange graham cracker pieces in a single layer at the bottom of the lined baking pan.
- Brownie layer: I use my favorite homemade brownie recipe. In a large bowl, prepare the brownie batter by mixing the dry ingredients with the wet ones. Pour the batter over the graham crackers and bake for 30 minutes until the top turns a golden brown.
- Chocolate layer: After removing the pan from the oven, top the brownie with chopped chocolate. Allow the chocolate to sit for 3-5 minutes, then use a small spatula to spread the melted chocolate over the top of the brownies.
- Marshmallows: Strategically arrange the marshmallows on top in rows, then return the pan to the oven for 5 minutes. After this, use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows or position the pan on the top rack of your oven and broil for 15-30 seconds.
- Let the brownies cool for 20-30 minutes before cutting into squares. Then, they’re ready to enjoy!
- Use a kitchen scale for accurate ingredient measurements.
- Use parchment paper to line your baking pan to prevent the brownies from sticking.
- For an easy brownie recipe, a box mix can come in handy. However, a homemade brownie mix offers a deeper flavor and a more fudgy texture.
- The best way to slice your s’mores brownies cleanly is to let them cool completely. Using a clean knife wrapped in plastic wrap can also lead to neater cuts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Once cooled, store the brownies in an airtight container at room temperature. They will stay fresh for up to 3 days. You can also refrigerate them for up to 5 days. Enjoy them cold, or pop them into the microwave for a few seconds for a warm gooey treat.
Certainly. To make gluten-free s’mores brownies, replace the flour with your preferred gluten-free alternative and ensure your graham crackers are gluten-free as well. Pamela’s Products gluten free graham crackers and Bob’s Red Mill gluten free flour mix are my favorite!
Yes, marshmallow fluff can be used. However, mini marshmallows create an appealing toasted marshmallow top.
The Best Fudgy S’mores Brownies (easy to make recipe)
- 9×9-inch pan
- Rubber spatula
- Kitchen torch
- 7 sheets graham crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 1 ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 ½ oz chocolate chopped
- 36 marshmallows *see notes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9-in pan with parchment paper overhanging the sides.
- Arrange graham crackers on the bottom of the lined pan. Break any graham crackers to fit.7 sheets graham crackers
- In a medium size saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Remove from heat and stir in sugars. Allow the mixture to cool for 5 minutes.1 cup butter, 1 ½ cup light brown sugar, ½ cup sugar
- Whisk eggs and vanilla into the butter/sugar mixture. Mix in cocoa powder. Gently fold in the flour, baking powder, and salt until just combined.4 eggs, 2 tsp vanilla, 1 cup cocoa powder, ⅔ cup flour, ½ tsp baking powder, ½ tsp salt
- Pour the batter over the graham crackers and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and top with chopped chocolate. Allow the chocolate to sit for 3-5 minutes and then use a small offset spatula to spread the chocolate over the top of the brownies.3 ½ oz chocolate
- Arrange the marshmallows on top in rows and then return the pan to the oven for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and use a kitchen torch to toast the tops of the marshmallows, or position the pan to the top rack of your oven and broil for 15-30 seconds.36 marshmallows
- Allow the brownies to cool for 20-30 minutes before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
- Storage: Store any leftover brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. You can enjoy them cold, or pop them into the microwave for a few seconds for a warm gooey treat.
- Gluten free: To make this recipe entirely gluten free, use gluten free graham crackers and replace the flour with an all-purpose 1 to 1 gluten free baking flour. Pamela’s Products gluten free graham crackers and Bob’s Red Mill gluten free flour mix are my favorite!